New Year's Day Tour - SF Bay Area, California

Larry

True Classic
A couple of updates...

The Tree House Cafe in Boulder Creek and Aracangeli Grocery in Pescadero will be closed on New Year's Day. The tour route has been revised to different restroom/snack stops.

The pretour showed good roads and the latest weather forecast for tomorrow is sunny with temps in the 60s....

Also, it's been confirmed that Stage Road heading north out of Pescadero has been repaired and is now open, yay! The road repairs were just completed this month.

--------------------
Fiat America is holding its annual New Year's Day Tour. It'll be a fun half day afternoon drive on New Year's Day.

The weather forecast looks great for event - no rain and sunny skies are forecast!

DATE: Monday, January 1, 2024

Meeting location: Alice’s Restaurant, 17288 Skyline Blvd, Woodside. Please park in the parking lot directly across the street from Alice’s Restaurant, at the opposite end from the gas pumps.

Meeting times
: Meet and greet: 12:00 PM, or earlier for lunch and socializing.
Driver’s Meeting: 12:1:5 PM, On the road by 12:30 PM
Ending location: Buck’s Restaurant, 3062 Woodside Rd, Woodside at approximately 6:00 PM

Frequently Asked Questions

How long is the tour?

A 4-hour afternoon drive of approximately 100 miles including rest and scenic stops. If you have only a couple of hours to come out and play, please consider joining us for any part of the tour. There will be regrouping and rest stops along the route to meet up.

Where is the tour going?
From Alice’s Restaurant on top of Skyline Blvd/Hwy 35 in Woodside to Boulder Creek through Big Basin State Park, the San Mateo County coast with stop in the Town of Pescadero. Tour ends in the Town of Woodside.

What are the roads like?
The roads are in good condition and are of various types; with plenty of curvy two lane roads in the Santa Cruz Mountains, the coastal valleys and along the coast.

What are we going to see along the drive?
Scenic forested areas in the mountains, views of the Pacific Ocean coastline and BIG Redwood trees in Big Basin State Park recovering from the CZU Wildfires in 2022.

Will there be opportunities to stop for snacking?
Yes, we will stop in the Town of Pescadero at Arcangeli Grocery. Also before and after the drive there is an opportunity to have lunch at Alice’s and dinner at Buck’s Restaurant, a very colorful and eclectic decorated restaurant in Woodside.

Do you need a FIAT to come on the Tour?
No, all cars are welcome on the tour, bring whatever is running, but it’s always more fun in a FIAT!

Can I join the dinner if I don’t go on the Tour?
YES! Do consider joining us for dinner, your company will be enjoyed and very welcomed..

Additional Information
Detailed tour instructions will be emailed to all participants before the date of the event. Printed copies will also be available at the start of the tour. We use CB radios on the tour, bring yours if you have one but it is not necessary. We have Club CBs to lend out for use on the tour. Please contact me if you would like to borrow one.

This tour will be very similar to the October Big Basin “Rainy Day” Tour but I’m wishing for dry and warm weather on New Year’s Day! - Rain or shine. Please join if you can, it’s always fun to go for a drive with friends, especially to start a New Year!

Last edited:
Don’t our X1/9s leak like sieves?
If it's leak as in oil, etc, then that's called "Rust prevention" as the oil can keep valuable parts safe. If it's from rain, then the forecast still shows clear skies on New Year's Day. I'll be there in my 2018 124 Spider with the top down....

I just saw 3 X1/9s on CA-84 at the one lane slide bypass. There was an FI model pulled over by the eastbound light with the engine cover open and steam coming out. Then a green and a yellow 74 came through the bypass westbound.

I just saw 3 X1/9s on CA-84 at the one lane slide bypass. There was an FI model pulled over by the eastbound light with the engine cover open and steam coming out. Then a green and a yellow 74 came through the bypass westbound.
Sounds like Fiat America's endurance run today.

I assumed the two cars headed west were going up the hill to the meeting point. The eastbound car with the problem was still there when I came back an hour later. I don't think that I've ever seen 3 X1/9s on the same section of road since the 70s.

Tour was great. I got to see parts of the woods I have been meaning to check out since the fire.

We originally were going only to the start, and then off to Kaiser in Oakland to be with my daughter. She called this morning and called the visit off. She said the chemo is hitting hard, and did not want/need visitors or family. It is breaking my heart.
Brookie and I were able to participate in the club tour until it hit the coast just south of Davenport. Her son had already called asking when we would be back. Family calls, you make the left turn instead of the right. Or, go straight back to the start.
We took the 1974 124 TC Automatic Sedan that I recently picked up from the original owner's family. It's a great car, and performed flawlessly.

The green and yellow 1974 X's were the Luke boys. Both very enthusiastic Fiat owners. Dad was probably close behind in the gray ABARTH 500.

If you want more info about Molly, her gofundme account, or the 124 (it's for sale), please contact me.

2024 will be better than 2023!

Endurance run??? Hardly.

It was a 100ish-mile tour (147 miles for me door to door). Definitely a short run and the club’s annual New Year’s Day Tour.

Fiat America hosts tours like this - 4 hours, about 100 miles to 3-4 day, >1,100 miles. In 2022, there was the Western States tour which was about 3,000 miles - unfortunately couldn’t attend that.

Was the pulled over X1/9 two-tone silver and red?

I assumed the two cars headed west were going up the hill to the meeting point. The eastbound car with the problem was still there when I came back an hour later. I don't think that I've ever seen 3 X1/9s on the same section of road since the 70s.
You should come along on some club tours. :). My X1/9 is still with the paint shop but if it was done, I would have had that instead of my 2018 124 Spider. We were probably down by 2-3 other X1/9s due to schedule conflicts.

There were 3-X1/9’s on the tour. The Green and Yellow X’s along with a red one that was at the tour meeting spot at Alice’s.

Tour was great. I got to see parts of the woods I have been meaning to check out since the fire.
It was my first time being in those areas since the fires too. The tour was great. A bit chilly for top down driving but a good heater and heated seats were more than enough.

We originally were going only to the start, and then off to Kaiser in Oakland to be with my daughter. She called this morning and called the visit off. She said the chemo is hitting hard, and did not want/need visitors or family. It is breaking my heart.
Brookie and I were able to participate in the club tour until it hit the coast just south of Davenport. Her son had already called asking when we would be back. Family calls, you make the left turn instead of the right. Or, go straight back to the start.
We took the 1974 124 TC Automatic Sedan that I recently picked up from the original owner's family. It's a great car, and performed flawlessly.

I saw it when I caught up with the group in Boulder Creek. I meant to ask about it.
The green and yellow 1974 X's were the Luke boys. Both very enthusiastic Fiat owners. Dad was probably close behind in the gray ABARTH 500.

If you want more info about Molly, her gofundme account, or the 124 (it's for sale), please contact me.

Sending you an email.
2024 will be better than 2023!

Was the pulled over X1/9 two-tone silver and red?
It was silver and some color. I could see that it was an FI motor with a cloud of steam rising above it. There was a driver and a guy checking out the engine. They were pulled over by where the generator is near the down hill light.

You should come along on some club tours. :). My X1/9 is still with the paint shop but if it was done, I would have had that instead of my 2018 124 Spider. We were probably down by 2-3 other X1/9s due to schedule conflicts.

There were 3-X1/9’s on the tour. The Green and Yellow X’s along with a red one that was at the tour meeting spot at Alice’s.
I would have gone but had a prior commitment which is why I was heading east on 84 when I saw the 3 X1/9s all at once.

It was silver and some color. I could see that it was an FI motor with a cloud of steam rising above it. There was a driver and a guy checking out the engine. They were pulled over by where the generator is near the down hill light.
Thanks. I know the car and driver. I've reached out to him to see if he was okay and how the car is.

I would have gone but had a prior commitment which is why I was heading east on 84 when I saw the 3 X1/9s all at once.
I'll look forward to seeing you on a future tour... Happy New Year!

A couple of updates...

The Tree House Cafe in Boulder Creek and Aracangeli Grocery in Pescadero will be closed on New Year's Day. The tour route has been revised to different restroom/snack stops.

The pretour showed good roads and the latest weather forecast for tomorrow is sunny with temps in the 60s....

Also, it's been confirmed that Stage Road heading north out of Pescadero has been repaired and is now open, yay! The road repairs were just completed this month.

--------------------
Fiat America is holding its annual New Year's Day Tour. It'll be a fun half day afternoon drive on New Year's Day.

The weather forecast looks great for event - no rain and sunny skies are forecast!

DATE: Monday, January 1, 2024

Meeting location: Alice’s Restaurant, 17288 Skyline Blvd, Woodside. Please park in the parking lot directly across the street from Alice’s Restaurant, at the opposite end from the gas pumps.

Meeting times
: Meet and greet: 12:00 PM, or earlier for lunch and socializing.
Driver’s Meeting: 12:1:5 PM, On the road by 12:30 PM
Ending location: Buck’s Restaurant, 3062 Woodside Rd, Woodside at approximately 6:00 PM

Frequently Asked Questions

How long is the tour?

A 4-hour afternoon drive of approximately 100 miles including rest and scenic stops. If you have only a couple of hours to come out and play, please consider joining us for any part of the tour. There will be regrouping and rest stops along the route to meet up.

Where is the tour going?
From Alice’s Restaurant on top of Skyline Blvd/Hwy 35 in Woodside to Boulder Creek through Big Basin State Park, the San Mateo County coast with stop in the Town of Pescadero. Tour ends in the Town of Woodside.

What are the roads like?
The roads are in good condition and are of various types; with plenty of curvy two lane roads in the Santa Cruz Mountains, the coastal valleys and along the coast.

What are we going to see along the drive?
Scenic forested areas in the mountains, views of the Pacific Ocean coastline and BIG Redwood trees in Big Basin State Park recovering from the CZU Wildfires in 2022.

Will there be opportunities to stop for snacking?
Yes, we will stop in the Town of Pescadero at Arcangeli Grocery. Also before and after the drive there is an opportunity to have lunch at Alice’s and dinner at Buck’s Restaurant, a very colorful and eclectic decorated restaurant in Woodside.

Do you need a FIAT to come on the Tour?
No, all cars are welcome on the tour, bring whatever is running, but it’s always more fun in a FIAT!

Can I join the dinner if I don’t go on the Tour?
YES! Do consider joining us for dinner, your company will be enjoyed and very welcomed..

Additional Information
Detailed tour instructions will be emailed to all participants before the date of the event. Printed copies will also be available at the start of the tour. We use CB radios on the tour, bring yours if you have one but it is not necessary. We have Club CBs to lend out for use on the tour. Please contact me if you would like to borrow one.

This tour will be very similar to the October Big Basin “Rainy Day” Tour but I’m wishing for dry and warm weather on New Year’s Day! - Rain or shine. Please join if you can, it’s always fun to go for a drive with friends, especially to start a New Year!

Bummer I missed the tour. I had every intention of joining, but ended up knee deep in what I thought would be an hour job on my X and ended up spending most of the day on it. I changed the choke mechanisms on my 40 DCNFs and added a choke cable so I could actually use the chokes. I'm tired of playing Russian Roulette every time I try to start the car after it's sat for a week or two. Now that I have the chokes functional, it fires after a couple of cranks without fuss.

Bummer I missed the tour. I had every intention of joining, but ended up knee deep in what I thought would be an hour job on my X and ended up spending most of the day on it. I changed the choke mechanisms on my 40 DCNFs and added a choke cable so I could actually use the chokes. I'm tired of playing Russian Roulette every time I try to start the car after it's sat for a week or two. Now that I have the chokes functional, it fires after a couple of cranks without fuss.
The chokes (actually called cold start devices) work fine as long as there is still enough gas in the fuel bowl. I find that if the car sits for more than a few weeks, I need to get my squeeze bottle of gasoline out and shoot some into the carbs. The 1974 X1/9 choke cable works perfectly for the cold start devices, almost like it was designed for that.

The chokes (actually called cold start devices) work fine as long as there is still enough gas in the fuel bowl. I find that if the car sits for more than a few weeks, I need to get my squeeze bottle of gasoline out and shoot some into the carbs. The 1974 X1/9 choke cable works perfectly for the cold start devices, almost like it was designed for that.

Unfortunately my X has the interior out of an '85, so the original choke cable is gone. I had to run a new cable. As for the gas in the fuel bowl, I run an electric pump, so I run the fuel pump to fill the bowls and then fire it up.

Does this mean you'll be able to make the Leap Day Tour?

Back