Newbie with stupid question...Plaia Pivot?

jckeese

'79 X1/9
I bought my 79 X and drove it home 2 years ago. It has not run since, as I am restoring the paint, lights, interior, etc. first. I thought this would be a great project that my son and I could do and learn together, but he took absolutely no interest. Now my daughter (who gets her license in Jan '11) absolutely loves the car. She calls it her "vintage Italian sports car Georgio!" I have promised her to have it running by the time she gets her license.

I figured when I got it running, I would start looking at the suspension - sway bar, Koni's, whatever. I don't really know what the X "feels like" yet while driving.

So my question...what exactly is a Plaia Pivot? Where does it go? What does it do? Where do I get them? Are they the same as those $650 camber plates I saw at G-Force or those upper strut mounts that Mark Plaia just had produced? Can someone point me to an informational thread? Thanks for your patience while I try to figure this stuff out!!

Plaia pivots are...

radial (torrington) bearings that go between the top spring perch and the strut mount on the front struts. This area has to rotate on itself to allow steering. From the factory this is just 2 flat plates with grease between them. The Plaia pivots do away with most of the friction by using a radial bearing trapped in a bearing race. It reduces and smooths the steering effort.

Pete

They are not the same as the camber plates being sold by gforce.

The Plaia pivots do just that, they help the front wheels pivot better. They are very thin thrust bearings that sit on top of the suspension between the top strut mount and the top spring perch. I have them on my car, they do a good job of smoothing out the steering but I wouldn't say they are a must buy.

The gforce camber plates you talk about replace the top strut mount (the metal & rubber piece with nuts on it) with an adjustable plate thats more rigid and allows for quicker and easier camber adjustment.

I would NOT modify the suspension, other then buying new kyb struts. The handling on the X is superb stock, it could be dangerous for a beginning driver to learn how to drive an X with modified suspension. Let her learn how to handle the car stock before you go changing stuff.

No, but C. Obert & Co. used to offer.....

Solid ones that take the place of the phenolic washers in the early style struts. The rears are actually *more* prone to bust up the plastic washers because there is a bit more camber and definitely more weight.

Ciao,

Last edited:
Welcome, BTW...

... and as far as giving the X to your daughter... burn it down in the driveway first. It will be more humane...

Go out and buy her a NEW DISPOSABLE APPLIANCE like a Civic or a Kia or something. You'll both be happier...

There is one other recourse though... and that is if SHE does all the restoration on the car. With some SWEAT EQUITY invested, the car might stand a chance!

All my best, I've a 16 year old Granddaughter eyeing my '69 Corvette!

Another peek at the plaia pivot

Photo (missing the washer on top for a better view) shows the pivot area for smoother turning. This bearing replaces the stock plastic (or phenolic) surface that comes with the original assembly.
The difference in ease of steering is phenomenal!
plaiapivotsmhi3.jpg

Back