Next project for the 124. Door cards

autox19

True Classic
Time to redo the doors. They are pretty dry, cracked, has holes and just plain ugly. The current plan is to learn how to redo then myself rather than buy ones done. It's more fun and because I am using a mix of tan and black for the interior it will allow me to add that to the panels.
Here's my starting mess.

20240120_104219.jpg
20240120_104332.jpg

Using the black Dimond for the main/bottom and the tan for the top
Screenshot_20240120_113558_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Screenshot_20240120_113608_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Odie

ABS sheet has been used by many. It would be a lifetime replacement but a little expensive compared to other options. And it isn't as easy to glue or staple the cover on to it. You can get the stock type of cardboard panels inexpensively from upholstery shops, but why would anyone want to put paper in there? 1/4" ply is pretty thick and may cause fitment issues, perhaps the thinner stuff is better. Hardboard it good except it is almost impossible to staple into it (if that's how you plan to attach the cover). I've used a couple inexpensive types of wood paneling from the local home improvement stores successfully. I give it a coat of varnish first to allow some moisture protection. And it is easy to work with.

It's obvious from the water stains that the original boards warp due to rain (or car washing) intrusion. If the car is to be kept in a garage and you treat the panel to resist water then I imaging the original type material would be fine.

You can use Luan plywood, it's only 1/8th thick.. It's what they build movie/TV sets with. Won't warp as easily as press board... $22 bucks at Home Depot for a 4'x8' piece...

You could also look at Sintra which is a softer, partly foamed PVC plastic. Easy to cut, structural enough and easily accepts staples and a variety of glues.

You could also look at Sintra which is a softer, partly foamed PVC plastic. Easy to cut, structural enough and easily accepts staples and a variety of glues.

I see that, looks good except it is over 2x the cost. waiting for the vinyl to show up before I decide what backer I am using. LOVE the input.

Odie

You can use Luan plywood, it's only 1/8th thick.. It's what they build movie/TV sets with. Won't warp as easily as press board... $22 bucks at Home Depot for a 4'x8' piece...
That's the stuff I was referring earlier but could not remember what it was called. ;)

The last time I bought it at HD or Lowes I think it was $13/sheet! And that wasn't too long ago. Sure seems like prices just keep climbing exponentially. :oops:

Not far from doing a pair myself. I will use Masonite and redo the plastic film that is glued directly to the door too. If you are using any wood based product, that is essential

Just out of curiosity, why not use the same material that was used originally? Here is what I am thinking. 1, usually water issues are caused because the plastic liner between the door and card has been removed. 2, the original panels lasted how long? 3, will you outlive them if you do it the exact same way? I have been debating this as well and will probably use the same material as the original and just protect it unlike my teenage self who remove the plastic to fix the window and then later to install speakers... ;)

We used to use a ton of Sinatra in the Prop making business, it's super easy to work with! Carves and glues well and it's super durable and waterproof...

What thickness are you thinking on the sintra board

odie
Just out of curiosity, why not use the same material that was used originally? Here is what I am thinking. 1, usually water issues are caused because the plastic liner between the door and card has been removed. 2, the original panels lasted how long? 3, will you outlive them if you do it the exact same way? I have been debating this as well and will probably use the same material as the original and just protect it unlike my teenage self who remove the plastic to fix the window and then later to install speakers... ;)
what is the original material and where can I get it? because it looks like some fiber composite I am not sure what it really is.

Odie

That is "hardboard", which is different from the original material. In my experience hardboard is a little difficult to work with (for this specific application) due to how hard it is (hence the name) and its overall rigidity. The original material is basically cardboard. It can be found at upholstery supply houses very inexpensively. But every car that I've ever worked on that used it had a lot of water damage, even if the plastic sheeting was still properly in place. It should last long enough I suppose, especially if the car is a garage queen that will never see water, but personally I don't feel it is durable enough.....I don't ever want to do the job of making new panels twice. :)

That is "hardboard", which is different from the original material. In my experience hardboard is a little difficult to work with (for this specific application) due to how hard it is (hence the name) and its overall rigidity. The original material is basically cardboard. It can be found at upholstery supply houses very inexpensively. But every car that I've ever worked on that used it had a lot of water damage, even if the plastic sheeting was still properly in place. It should last long enough I suppose, especially if the car is a garage queen that will never see water, but personally I don't feel it is durable enough.....I don't ever want to do the job of making new panels twice. :)
Ah, good to know Jeff. Thanks for the info on where to possibly get the original stuff. It will be interesting to see what people end up doing and the issues they find when working with it.

Completely agree. I have never seen the door plastic intact on any car ever [Never looked on a new car as those have not really factored in my life :) ]. People stick speakers thru it, rip it off completely to adjust window and lock mechs and never even think about why it is there. It is not reasonable to condemn a system when key parts of it have been deleted...

Completely agree. I have never seen the door plastic intact on any car ever [Never looked on a new car as those have not really factored in my life :) ]. People stick speakers thru it, rip it off completely to adjust window and lock mechs and never even think about why it is there. It is not reasonable to condemn a system when key parts of it have been deleted...
But every car that I've ever worked on that used it had a lot of water damage, even if the plastic sheeting was still properly in place.

Back