No Autox at FFO 2011

We have had a lot of trouble finding a site for a autox,same as with last year in Asheville.The acceptable sites had either previous events or flat out refused.We lost out last year to a horse show!!:sad:
The event/meal prices will be up in early spring,but it wont be free.I thought we did a good job of keeping prices down for everything last year,and that will be a top ppriority again.

We have had a lot of trouble finding a site for a autox,same as with last year in Asheville.The acceptable sites had either previous events or flat out refused.We lost out last year to a horse show!!:sad:
The event/meal prices will be up in early spring,but it wont be free.I thought we did a good job of keeping prices down for everything last year,and that will be a top ppriority again.

Horse show? Must have been trying for the Ag center across from the airport.

That was the place!We hoped Kevin had it nailed down,but they opted for the haybags.Most of the alternate sites claimed a liability issue.After speaking with a lot of members last year,most prefer a drive/poker run etc..,to the auto-x.:wacko:

well

that sucks.I was really existed to hear that FFO2011 is going to be in Nashville, TN because it would be an 8 hour drive from Chicago wear I live and since I'm the only active Fiat that goes to autox event's on a regular bases I thought how cool that's going to be to autox with all kind of fiat's for once.

I tell you what lets get FLU to bring FFO2012 to Chicago area considering a local chapter is not needed to sponsor FFO. I will commit 100% to having an autox. I have a vary good relationship with two autox clubs and with there help I will be able to make it happen.:headbang:

I, for one,would love to see FFO12 in Chitown.When the 2 proposals dropped out this year,we asked Lee of Chi-FLU about this years event.He said they werent ready with a proposal,for 2011.Maybe for 2012?? We have a auto-x at Dixie Fiatfest every year.I love 'em too!!

Looking forward to it Chris

Even if I have to go in the 86 instead of the 78. :innocent:

Any Chance?

Any chance that an AutoX could still be added? Is anyone still trying to locate a venue?
Dave

Not to derail this thread, but

I wonder what the nature of Fiat Freak-out will be this coming year?

In the past (I've never been to one so consider these comments as coming out of the Southbound end of a Northbound horse) I imagine it is about the past...a bunch of 124's, X1/9's, few surviving 850's and 128's etc. At least that's what the photos show...

Next year will it mainly be about the 500's with a a slew of brand new cars, brand new owners that know little of Fiat, talk of the Abarth's that are coming, Alfa's that are coming etc etc? Will we have any more info on the next Abarth Spider? Will the infamous X1/99 talk resurface?

I wonder if FFO will ever be the same? Any veterans want to comment?

Apologies for raising this here, wasn't sure if a new thread was appropriate or not.

Hi ga.spyder

Why does FLU need a proposal from Lee or CHI-FLU? Can't it be just anybody from the Chicago land area or any body any wear? There isn't a chapter in Nashville or Tennessee for that mater.So obviously a local chapter is not needed. By the Way who put in the proposal for Nashville and what chapter do thy belong to?

To be able to participate in Fiat Freakout does one need to be a FLU member?

ga.spyder are a FLU board member?

Look at he FLU chapter listing again

There isn't a chapter in Nashville or Tennessee for that mater.So obviously a local chapter is not needed. By the Way who put in the proposal for Nashville and what chapter do thy belong to?

To be able to participate in Fiat Freakout does one need to be a FLU member?

Here is the page:
http://www.flu.org/chapters.asp

Right hand column third from the top you will find the Tennessee chapter:

East Tennessee
865-525-1554

I can't say who put the Nashville proposal, because I don't know, but I am sure someone will tell us.

In the past, you had to be a FLU member to attend. I do not see that stated anywhere obvious on the FFO information page, so it is hard to say.

I'll take a swing at several of these questions...

Craig (Ga.Spider), Denise (I think she goes by spiderlay) and I are FLU Board members.

It is not too late to add an autocross.

You do have to be a FLU member to participate, and can join right on the FFO registration.

There are two FLU organizations in Tenn:

Brett at East Tenn as previously mentioned and

Mid-South West TN/Kentucky Contact: Chris Layton (former x owner and current spider owner)

I do not know for a fact which chapter is "hosting" but it is nice to have a hosting chapter to ensure that there are enough volunteers available.

Any FLU member can submit a proposal to host FFO, but it helps to have a host chapter involved.

A successful proposal should have a host motel large enought to host more than 150 rooms, banquet facilities with catering to handle friday night and saturday night meals, paved parking for 125 cars, a pano photo venue (scenic), a concours site, and all that other stuff that makes a successful venue. All of this must be "family affordable" and coordinated for flow of people and cars through the weekend.

FFO has come a long way from a dozen pizza's and a roadside motel near a racetrack.....

Any chance that an AutoX could still be added? Is anyone still trying to locate a venue?
Dave
I was chatting with some of the guys last night and i think its unanimous that we make a dragon run on the way down. perhaps the northeast members that plan to attend could organize a caravan type trip to the event? We pick a set route and cars are added as we travel. We did this in for the H2Oi event in ocean city for VW's, its cool cruising 40 deep, then pulling into town.

If you haven't looked at a map yet, the DragonsTail is ~4 hours EAST of Nashville. It really isn't on the way fron the northeast or midwest...

But would be fun

To take it a little further(yes,I am on the FLU board),the new 500's will be welcomed at FFO.However,I am sure they will not be the focal point of the event.I would be truly surprised if there were more of the new models,than our vintage cars.They will have a place(category) in the Concorso.
There are more than a few of the vintage cars that attend each year.We had over 250 cars in Poconos,and around 100 this past year in Asheville(amidst tough economic times).I count many of the people I have met at FFO,among some of my best friends.
Kevin,Denise,and I were on the organizing commitee for last years,and probably this years FFO.It is a lot of work to put it on,and would be tough without a host chapter.Definitely not impossible though.
As for the Dragon..let me know!!I live 45 minutes away,and although I have run it several times in my Spider I would love to run it in the X.I'm there!

Autox would be great!

It does look like the same core group will be organizing next year's FFO, along with help from the local group. We will soon be making a trip to the Nashville area and if we can find a venue for an autocross, I'm sure we can make it happen. Last year, since we couldn't find a place for one, we had a gokart autocross in the parking lot of the hotel. Everyone seemed to enjoy themselves. If we do find a venue, volunteers will be needed to lay out the course, do tech inspections and run the timing equipment, so anyone with autox experience needs to keep that in mind and volunteer when we start begging.
As for the new 500s coming to FFO, I'll probably be bringing my brand new Fiat next year, with Ron trailering one or two of my other cars. I'd love to see what this little car will do on the autox track! It should be fun.

hmm

a CHI FLU member got a speeding ticket while driving on the Dragon last year . So for me I think it's a bad idea I'm going to stick with autox wear you can speed all you want legal.

Back