No Event Glamour

usta in Portland

Daily Driver
News items that have zero sex appeal and are not the 'scandalette-of-the-day' and won't make the news cycle due to being boring but are nevertheless likley to impact our lives.

1) The CPI (Consumer Price Index) has suddenly become an object of interest with Obama suggesting an alternative 'inflation' metric as a part of his 'negotiating' position with congressional Republicans over entitlelment reform. He has proposed using an index called 'chained CPI' which has the advantage of recognizing that when prices go up consumers shop for cheaper products. This is both logical and also happens to be the case. Yet another index the PCE (Personal Consumption Expenditure Index) takes this idea a step further by including costs like co-payments on medical insurance and savings like free checking accounts. Now, the interesting thing that has happened is that for years prior to the financial crisis and recession these idices tracked one another fairly closely, but starting in 2008 they began to disengage, which means that there are now three different numbers describing inflation with CPI showing one thing, chained CPI showing something else (although pretty close) and PCE showing a distinctly lower number-in fact a troubling number. Who cares? Right? Well maybe we all should if we considered how much spending is based on the CPI and the fact that Obama is now suggesting an alternative.

2) A recent study attempted to reconcile an anomoly in the current economic data which indicates that the rate of unemployment and the levels of consumer debt and consumer spending don't really line up. The data on spending and debt are consistent with an unemployment rate of 5.5% not 7.8%. The prime suspect in this is the 'grey economy' or casual economy supported mostly by unreported cash transactions. The implications are many but for taxation they are obvious. Of course a good implication is that the overall economy is doing better than the standard numbers indicate.

3) It's no secret that America has the most expensive health care and largest health industry in the world. It currently accounts for 17.8% of GDP (military spending by comparison acounts for about 4% and change) and by 2020, 1 in 7 jobs will be in direct health care provision. Less known is that unlike virtually every other industry in the country, health care has seen a decline in productivity for the past 5 years. It is an intrinsically low productivity sort of service industry but declines are very disturbing. Adding insult to injury in this regard, health care is the only major sector of the economy where unions are making headway. In fact union membership and collective bargaining in health care is increasing at a rate not seen in any industry in 70 years. This implies that one of the avenues of restraining health costs through labor cost stabilization may be getting closed. Economically and politically this could prove to be a slowly exploding bomb.

Regarding point number 3

I think unions stand to make a surprise comeback... my 'craft' at my company is undergoing a union attempt right now.

Here's some things to think about... young kids companies are hiring today are very VERY quick to think things aren't 'fair'. When I came out of college, you knew it and exploited that fact to get promoted!

The kids also seem very interested in more time off, or less workload, than cash. I have seen several young kids quit working in our office and take a job that paid $20k to 30K a year less, just so they could go hang with friends in the evenings and not worry about drinking a beer or two. (we get random drug and alcohol test at the railroad...) None of my 'same era' friends can imagine taking a $30k pay cut... for lifestyle!!?!?!

They also came from the generation that saw their parents loose a security net... I'm 49, my parents generation generally felt safe working at one place for life... most of my friends haven't had that luxury and security... some are still trying to get on solid ground since 2007 knocked about 1/4 of my facebook friends into unemployment for at least a while. So kids coming into the workforce right now, seem much more willing to 'give up' some flexibility in a job, if they can get some protection. (In general it's the kids in the company pushing this current union drive... which is totally different than when we had drives 10 years ago... those were ex-union folks who wanted the union back!)

Healthcare... face it, the only folks that get 'good' healthcare now days are generally union jobs. The union guys in my craft (railroad dispatchers) have MUCH better healthcare than the non-union 'management' plan we have. (my company is the only major RR with non-union dispatchers currently) When our company rolled out our new 'high deductible healthcare plan', they freely admitted it would save them a ton of money. When pressed 'why do we get this, when the people we are in charge of get such a better plan?'... the head of HR bluntly told the room

"Management is not a protected status."

In railroad speak that means 'You're not union.", and that translated to 'because we can'.:eek: The room was silent and I don't know if any more questions were aired! Healthcare is the main driver in the recent drive to go union with out 'craft' this time. Our out of pocket annual family 'deductible' is around $10k now.

It's also the case...

the more and more of the employment in Americs is rather dispersed and that there really isn't the sort of concentrated labor that was common in the industrial period of out history. Health care, by its nature is tending to concentrate labor again in fairly discreet venues-hospitals, care homes, medical services, etc. It is in some ways comparable to the hotel services industry which is also unionized to some extent and to public service jobs. Also, a lot of the health industry jobs are so low paying that there is real incentive for workers to unionize and take advantage of collective bargaining. Once this acheived then they have a sort of marketing tool-people would then have to choose between paying more and putting granny in a union controlled facility or go cheaper in a non-union one. that has some resonance still in the marketplace, I think.

Back