No gas coming from gas tank

Mike C

Daily Driver
Folks,

There’s no gas coming from my gas tank and it’s full. At first, I thought my jets or fuel lines were clogged. Nope. Then I though I needed a new fuel pump. Replaced. But now there is no gas in the fuel line that connected to the tank outlet. What tha heck is going on? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!

Mike C

You might try removing the fuel hose from the tank and stick it in a container of gasoline and see if it draws gas. That would tell you which direction the problem is located. Have you checked that the filter is clear? If a chunk of crud in the tank comes loose and goes into solution, it can clog the filter pretty fast. I had that happen, but my tank was sitting for several decades.

Check fuel filter and work your way back toward the tank.
If you get to the tank and still get no fuel then it is likely that the tank is clogged.
Caution! next sentence is for parental discretion; Wrap your lips around the hose and give it a blow and see if any gas comes out.
If you are too dainty for that then shop air with the reg set at 5 to 10 psi.

Had a Renault that ran great but would just stop because of no gas. Let it set for a few minutes until everything settled down and it would go again but on occasion had to give it head.
You most likely are a candidate for a tank cleaning or a new one.

There is a screen sock "filter" in the tank, connected to the fuel pick up tube. They corrode, collect debris, and clog. In many cases this is not an issue because they also tend to get torn or completely disintegrate. But it sounds like yours is still intact and clogged up. They really aren't cleanable because most of the contamination is corrosion of the brass material. New replacement screens are available. If you have a carb engine it is on the distal end of the fuel level sending unit. So remove that assembly from the top of the tank and replace the sock. However if you have a fuel injected engine it is very difficult to remove and replace it because it's attached to the bottom of the tank. If that's the case, at this point it may be easier to use a long rod and try to rip it away from the pick up tube (destroying it), then add an external pre-pump filter. Here is an idea of what the sock looks like:
7109.jpg

It crimps onto the fuel pick up tube with the steel collar at the top of the filter (top left of this pic).

Thank you all for your help! So be fire I could check back to the post, I hooked up an electric fuel pump and gas was flowing to the carb. HOWEVER, it won’t start up!! I’m at a complete loss for ideas now. I’m going to play some basketball and come back to it later. Maybe it’s an ignition problem. If I switch spark plug wires I can get it to run rough and backfire, etc. but when I put it in the correct spark plug orientation then it won’t start. I know fuel is getting to the carb now with the electric pump. Battery is fine. UGH!!!

Any ideas what could be going on?

Oh yeah, when I was driving (a long time ago) she gave out on me. Low acceleration then no start. I thought it was the fuel pump. I replaced it with one I had laying around for years still no start. I then notice no fuel in lines. Now I have fuel with electric pump but still no start.

Mike, when was the last time this car ran properly?
Also sounds like your current problem is ignition. The car should not run poorly with the wires to the wrong plugs and not run at all when on the right plugs. What firing order are you running and have you checked ignition timing with a timing light?

Hi Carl,
It was running extremely well up until the problem. Gradual stall then no start. I’m fairly certain it’s the ignition control module at this point. It seems that failures happen this way. I’m going to test the module with a test bulb to see if it is truly varying the ground circuit. If it pulses then it’s good. But if it remains on then it’s bad. I think this is a good way to test it but I’m not 100% sure. I’ll keep you all posted.

Back