No offence to anyone intended...

Then you need to tell him this, not me.

The repubs, not have a true leader amongst them, missed a wonderful opportunity.

When Pres says lets cut $4trillion, the appropriate response was "thank you Mr. President. Show us the way. Be our leader and lead us to this,"

Instead, waffling and wrist wringing....

That is too much out of pocket

and I feel fortunate that I have better coverage. If I didn't, I would look elsewhere... e.g., for a new job with better coverage.

There are many other ways of working to reduce medical expense and they're well documented... allowing insurers to market across state lines... SERIOUS tort reform... etc. Never tried... and why is that?

The CBO has gone on record - and I'm paraphrasing - that some "potential savings" were counted more than once. If this version of healthcare reform was such a winner, it wouldn't have required 2000+ pages, the subterfuge it took to pass it and wouldn't have resulted in most Democrat politicians running from it, cuz it's toxic.

That's funny

When Pres says lets cut $4trillion, the appropriate response was "thank you Mr. President. Show us the way. Be our leader and lead us to this,

I've heard (and seen with my own eyes) Speaker Boehner, Cantor and Ryan all ask him to show some leadership and put something on the table. To say they haven't is just not true.

unacceptable answer

"maybe because the vast majority of politicians are lawyers?"

Who are - next to unions - the largest political contributors to the Democrat Party?

Follow the money, my friend.

and I feel fortunate that I have better coverage. If I didn't, I would look elsewhere... e.g., for a new job with better coverage.

Easy to say, hard to do.

<-- Insulin dependant diabetic. prior to obamacare, it would have cost me a years worth of ins coverage on my diabetes to make such a move.

And, actually, I do have pretty good ins policy. Its the costs that are out of control.

Keep in mind, 1 in 6 us citizens have a blood glucose control problem. A person within 100 years of you right now has diabetes / hypoglycemia and could easily fall under the bus financially with one trip to the hospital

There is nothing that will reduce health care costs without reducing health care access other than massive free market reforms.

No one in Washington is going to do the right thing because the right thing is too painful. It's going to take a generation of reduced living standards to rebuild our savings and production capacity needed to get the economy back to a sustainable place. Instead the system will collapse and whoever is in power when it happens will get blamed but there will be plenty of blame to go around. Eventually the politicians will do the right thing but only when they have no choice. Like Winston Churchill once said, "Americans can always be counted on to do the right thing...after they have exhausted all other possibilities.".

The debt and deficit....

don't make into the top 5 issues with voters. Most of them don't know and don't care and when someone points out that the debt ceiling has been raised something like 94 times since its inception and 8 times in a row by the Bush era Congress there is going to be a big old shrug. IMHO

Undoubtedley it would be the whole enchilada for the Tea Party because it already is.

I thought my wife was the only one who told me my answers were unacceptable....
shrug.gif

don't make into the top 5 issues with voters. Most of them don't know and don't care and when someone points out that the debt ceiling has been raised something like 94 times since its inception and 8 times in a row by the Bush era Congress there is going to be a big old shrug. IMHO

You are 101% correct because the average voter's head starts to spin when they hear the bullscheisse spewing out of the mouths of math-challenged politicians as they throw invented-yesterday buzzwords at each other on the talking head shows. Did you know there are 182 pages of buzzwords? http://www.gao.gov/new.items/d05734sp.pdf

Now compare 182 pages of buzzwords to the concept of a balanced budget capped to GDP. Geez, every beer-swilling sports fan will immediately recognize that concept because three of the four major sports leagues use a similar concept for their salary caps. And if the face-painting, belly-bumping Miller High Life crowd can understand it, then everyone can understand it.

Since Mr and Mrs America have been tightening their belts for the last three years, and since misery loves company, they just might be ready to put DC on an austerity plan.

Interesting thoughts on this

it'll be the economy and if this has a bad effect on same... wouldn't want to be in the Oval Office...

Political scientist John Sides reminds us it’s the economy:
"Assume there is no deal and then assume, as [Treasury Secretary] Geithner and others have warned, that there are serious consequences for the economy when the debt ceiling isn’t raised. This will hurt Obama. And it will hurt him more than it will hurt the Republican Party. Presidents suffer the consequences of a bad economy. Divided government does not change this. Beware pundits who see silver linings for Obama in this scenario."

http://patterico.com/2011/07/15/does-the-debt-ceiling-blame-game-matter/

Political theatre

And just another installment of Disaster Capitalism.

The numbers are already boggling, but for the debt ceiling agreement not to occur and mere spending cuts here and there to save the day, those cuts would have to be dramatic to the point of a deliberate and very painful depression...ie another great depression. It is probably headed there anyways, but whilst we watch this spectacle unfold before our eyes...the path has already been laid out for us.

http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2011/07/what-everyone-conservatives-and.html

Last edited:
I thought political discussions were against the rules! Who started this threa... oh yeah...

That would be incorrect.

Also, on the subject of default, Next month is the fortieth anniversary of offical default of the US government. That didn't stop people from loaning us money then so who knows if it will now.

Back