No Vacation Nation

I didn't have to hire....

illegals but the guys who finished my project were Green Card workers who lived in Tijuana and worked in San Diego. They were a family of father and two sons who had done a lot of stuff for me over the years. They were great. So was the original crew except for taking a 26(99?) week vacation:hrmph:
I shouldn't generalize too much, it was the only time something like this happened but it did so right when a lot people were begging for work and it rubbed me up the wrong way.

You always hear stories of business owners that bust ass and don't take vacations for years... and I think this is the truth for most business owners.

But...

A few years ago my father was in the market for a small trailer to tow a riding lawnmower on... you've seen the little 6 foot long suckers. Everyone in the area recommended a specific local guy who had a business that built trailers. The guy had the best prices and the best reputation for quality as well... Turns out my dad had to buy his trailer from someone else, and the reason was this guy was so successful with his business that he and two buddies were notorious for taking something crazy like 3 months off each year and following the NASCAR circuit!!! His business was shut down and there weren't going to be any small trailers available for several months!

Totally cracked me up that this guy who was probably the thought of by some as the 'dumb kid' who took vo-tech in HS had a house outside of town that rivaled the size of any of the local doctors, and was now successful enough to take huge vacations every year.

Back