No X for me... yet...

artsifrtsi

Low Mileage
So I am going to be getting orders to move to Ft Campbell, KY in the next week or 2 to report sometime in July. The X that I've been eyeballing for $700 is still gonna be here. If any of you want a crack at it, lemme know and I will hook you up with the guy. The car ran great and didn't smoke, however I didn't drive it so cannot verify that.

In the nearish future I will be solidly in the market for a nice X to hammer on... I only have 2 positions on the throttle, none or full. When I had my MR2 there was not a day that went by that I was at WOT at least once. I'm still not too sure that I want another X, the MR2 still calls me... we'll see, we will see...

Keep in touch artsifrtsi

Ft. Campbell is only 4.5 hours from St. Louis. :)

I have my eye on a 2001 MR2 right now. And it is my favorite color too!!
475bba817f0000010197d20c5106711f.jpg

I sold the 79 on the far end, so this MR2 would fit right in that spot.
IM001716.jpg

Hey guys

Artsifrtsi, Jeremy, and others who have or are serving: Thanks! This country owes you.

///Mike

Good thought, ///Mike... and that's what this weekend is all about...

Thanks for taking the lead...

Here's something I received today... and its probably not "proper" for this section but "proper", IMHO, for this post. I'd like to join with you in giving my thanks to those who serve today so I can play and enjoy the freedoms we have.

download

download

[FONT=Arial Unicode MS, Helvetica]

[/FONT]​
download

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times]IMMEDIATE RELEASE[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times]May 21, 2009[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, Times]

[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times]No. 09-11

Mokie Porter
301-996-090
[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, Times]1[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times]Memorial Day Message
From VVA National President John Rowan
[/FONT]​

[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, Times]More than 670,000 American fighting men and women have perished since the Revolutionary War as a result of combat. Almost 525,000 troops have died in “non-theater” deaths. In Vietnam, the longest war in our history, more than 58,000 of our brothers and sisters were lost to the war. We are losing fine young (and not so young) warriors every week in the current wars in Afghanistan and Iraq. And we continue to lose veterans from the insidious, long-term effects of exposure to toxic substances during their time in uniform – and from “invisible” mental demons that are part of the lingering legacy of war.

Memorial Day is the time to commemorate those who have made the supreme sacrifice doing our nation’s bidding, fighting for American freedom and values. Memorial Day is the fitting time for all Americans to take at least a moment from their treks to the beach and the mall, from their backyard barbeques and baseball games, to honor the memories of those who remain forever young, and to remember the cost of freedom. Freedom, truly, is not free.
[/FONT]

Thank you.....
I always feel kinda funny when I am thanked for serving. While I did serve active duty for a 3 year enlistment, I was never deployed to combat. The only real world deployment I had was putting out forest fires in the northern rocky mtns back in 95. I spent a month in Montana putting out forest fires following the death of 2 smoke jumpers.

Amen Tony

Thanks to all who have served or are serving. Too many of us take your service for granted.

My nephew is currently deployed and I think about him everyday.

He'll be in my prayers also...

I'm not a warmonger, Jim... but I do believe in totally eliminating any threat to my grandchildren using means that preferably don't call for putting any "boots on the ground".

There are other non-nuclear ways of doing this, but I don't think we have a politician today with the BALLS the size of Truman's to carry it off.

It saddens me to KNOW that my g-kids will never see the freedoms and comforts we once knew in this country.

Jeremy... I never knew a WWII Vet that was ever...

... really asked if he was a combatant or not.

There are some, in fact many, in my ranks of Viet Nam Vets that like to define that or SEPARATE themselves as being one or the other. Still others are defined as Viet Nam ERA Veterans...

As for me... I joined the Navy to avoid the draft and being sent to Viet Nam... and Whaa-La... I find myself in Marine Greens, boots and an M16 on solid ground in goddam DaNang.

In survival school they taught us that the front lines in 'Nam were defined by drawing a circle around your feet... and that kinda thing is true today... in the days of "Modern Warfare".

I guess you can really define combatants as those that go out and LOOK for trouble or recon... but I generally construe them to be TARGETS. My combat experience was being "aimed at" by our friggin' 15 year old "South Vietnamese Allies" and shot at by snipers hiding up in trees that were on the edges of Agent Orange defoliated river banks...

I aimed and shot back at every opportunity... and was wet and scared ****less for a solid year.

So I said all that to simply say this... YOU said by serving that YOU would do what was necessary to defend this country and for YOU it just happened to be fire fighting. For me it was ducking and keeping Naval Shore Radio Operations going...

You have my sincerest thanks for your commitment and service... back then and again for what you do today.

Enjoy this weekend... do attend or participate in a ceremony if you can. It brings about some great feelings and some REAL meaning to the day.

Blacktooth, Well said, I agree taht we took an oath to defend the constitution as well as the country. I made that promise, and I still keep that promise today in my profession. I never saw combat as a solider, but I have as a cop.
My job in the Army was a forward observer. I can honestly say tht I am not sad or mad that I never saw combat in the Army. Egos are kinds funny in that regard. While in the army, I worked with several guys that played the macho bad ass role. THey always talked about wanting to go to war. I always had a feeling the were full of it. WHen we got deployed to fight forest fires, those same guys were crying and moaning. They all complained by saying they were not trained to be fire fighters. I found this funny as hell. The same guys that walked around chest thumping, were scared of digging a fire line and climbing some mountains. Dont get me wrong. I have a profound respect for fire and the risks that go with it, but come on.
I want to thank you for your service during Viet Nam. I always hated the fact that you guys were crapped on by our citizens when you cam ehome. I hope the stories of you guys beign spit on were greatly exaggerated. We all know the media hates the military, so its hard seeign the truth through the lies.
Thank you for your service, and sacrafice.

Dittos, dittos, dittos...

Thanks...

As for being spit on... I never was... but my good friend who fought in the Battle of San Antonio Texas was... He just happened to be one of those few draftees that enlisted for another year and ended up guarding the DMZ in Korea... which BTW, was also defoliated with Agent Orange... and just two years ago did the VA INCLUDE those who have come down with associated cancers as presumtively service-connected and eligible for benefits!

And that is exactly what keeps me focused backwards... as I relapsed again in 2001 after 17 years of bi-annual scans saying I was in complete remission. I'm fortunate enough to have Medicare and relatively excellent private insurance... but imagine $3.5 million in medical bills for 2007 and $1.4 in 2008.

Alas... enough of that... but it keeps me thinking about how much Vietnam Vets have paid and continue to pay for that fiasco. I would esitmate that over 350,000 have been impacted, sick, dying and dead... from the "friendly fire" of exposure to Agent Orange. In 1991 over 70,000 were awarded monies over a period of 6 years for a total of abut $3500 from a no-contest settlement from Dow Chemical. I was not "eligible" at the time... as I was no longer 100% disabled or dead. 58,350+ were killed by the enemy... and at that time... over 70,000 were dead and dying from friendly fire... including the son of Admiral Elmo Zumwalt Jr., who ordered the spraying in the first place!

Whoops... I'm rambling again...

Let me close with this POSITIVE note...

On January 3, 1971 I came home on leave and ended up in Oakland that Sunday eve... the LAST day of the Christmas holiday season. The world was in that airport trying to get home... and I managed to get a stand-by ticket (number 257 or sumthun'...) for a flight to LA on PSA (Poor Sailor's Airline).

Amongst all these people was this lone sailor in WHITES and the counterman jumped up on top of his counter and announced that PSA was gonna bring in an additional plane... and where was it we wanted to go... Burbank or LA?

HA! An inaudible CRY rings out (BUR-LA-LA-BANKKKK) and he says... OK then, we're goin' ta Burbank... and he paused...

(Well...I thought, since the plane holds about 130 people... a lot of good standbuy ticket #257 is gonna do me...)

And then he shouts... "He sailor...yeah you... I got your seat right here..."

He was talking to me... and another attendant grabs my seabag and handbag... and says c'mon... and leads me out to the plane... not even taking my ticket.

I was stunned but managed to turn around and say thanks... I'll never forget that gesture... and try to pass it along whenever I can. Like Rudy does... his father was career Navy, and as a Phillipino enlistee, he did NOT have an easy go of it. Rudy never served in uniform, but serves today in what he does. I managed to pay for haircut once... after fighting with a reservist to do so... HA! I concentrate now on helping other Vets get their benefits and healthcare, and also support a Veteran's Outreach program quarterly by assisting MY dentist doing dental work.

Well... I see I am rambling again and taking up valuable computer space...

Have a great weekend...

God bless all who currently serve and our vets who

fought to preserve our freedom and promote liberty elsewhere.

We are the land of the free because we are also the home of the brave!

Brad

I am of the opinion that much of the danger that we as a country are in is self-inflicted, because we failed to follow the advice of our Founders with regard to foreign policy.

American foreign policy in the 20th and 21st century has been all about telling other people what they should be doing in their own backyard, and meddling in the internal affairs of other countries. Maybe if the Government of the USA would stop minding other people's business, fewer people would be so pissed off at us as to want to kill themselves while taking out as many Americans as they can.

There have been so many troops' lives thrown away by politicians pursuing and maintaining the American Empire....IMHO it's a national disgrace.

Back