Noisy FI fuel pump (I think)

fiatmonkey

Tim Hoover
Hey folks,

Wondering if anyone had some thoughts on this. I suspect I have a noisy FI fuel pump. Its a low hum right now and hard to hear (if at all) from the engine bay but loud enough to hear from within the car and sounds like its coming from right behind the drivers seat. It also wavers just a tad with electrical strain on the car (my electricals are not the best right now, but that is another story and another day).

I am not going to worry about it all that much unless folks tell me to :)

The pump is only about a year old.

Thanks,
Tim

Mine got obnoxiously noisy as it began to get plugged by crap (rust) from the tank. You could vise grips the line between the tank and the pump (to stop gas from flowing out), pull it off the bottom of the pump, shoot carb cleaner up there, reassemble and see if shuts up. If so, maybe a filter inline before pump would be wise. There's another thread, fuel pressure one? with pics of such a filter install.

Well,

It is definitely the fuel pump. I will pop it off tomorrow and see what I can do. Will track down one of those filters or something close.

Thanks!

One thing to try...

Try swapping the wires (+) for (-) and briefly running it with the inlet hose disconnected from the tank at the tank end and directed into a catch can. The pump will run in reverse and flush out any junk blocking the internal inlet screen.

Only do this for a moment or two, you do not want to run it dry.

I'd opt for a "see thru" type, maybe replaceable element style. If the tank is crappy you'll be into that filter alot I'd suspect. You'll know as soon as you "clean" the pump's little inlet screen if you're on the right track, it should quiet down right away, then as it cruds up, get noisy again. Since I redid my tank I'm not running any filter there, maybe I should be, but there is NO CRUD and it's sealed.

Try swapping the wires (+) for (-) and briefly running it with the inlet hose disconnected from the tank at the tank end and directed into a catch can. The pump will run in reverse and flush out any junk blocking the internal inlet screen.

Only do this for a moment or two, you do not want to run it dry.
I did this twice and it seems to me it only flushes for a second, as soon as the fuel that's in it is ejected, it doesn't seem capable of pulling more in through what would normally be the outlet. I squirted mine with carb cleaner and that flushed it pretty good I thought.

Hmm, probably need a full tank and to place a vacuum on the FPR. Or turn the pump around in its hoses so the old "outlet" is now the "inlet".

I had my pump out. hose on the "outlet" with funnel and gas in it, gravity feed. Shot gas for backward for a second but didn't draw in more. Did while on car too, same result. Certainly did blow the crud off I'd think but not a high pressure super flush I was hoping for.

I'd opt for a "see thru" type, maybe replaceable element style. If the tank is crappy you'll be into that filter alot I'd suspect. You'll know as soon as you "clean" the pump's little inlet screen if you're on the right track, it should quiet down right away, then as it cruds up, get noisy again. Since I redid my tank I'm not running any filter there, maybe I should be, but there is NO CRUD and it's sealed.

Next step after this is fix the dang tank. I should have added an inline filter before the pump when I first replace it as the pump was clearly clogged.

I need to get it sorted today so will let you all know what I find.

I did go to Napa today and they didn't have the mentioned filter in stock. I got another that looks like it might fit.

more later...

Cleaned out the fp best I could and its quited down to almost no hum. However wrong size filter ends so I need to find another source just order it. I am headed to Chicago on biz for a week so this will have till I get back...

-Tim

Back