Noisy fuel pump

81x

X'ing Fixing
Hi,
At first i thought the noise come from bad bearings or rolling parts in the engine,
but after replacing most of them (old water pump and belts), still a constant whining noise is heard from the fuel pump area.
I couldn't find information regard it, if a restoration is possible or just replacing it;
Is it a good pump when new or it better to look for an aftermarket pump.
81' with FI, all original.

Thanks.

Hi,
At first i thought the noise come from bad bearings or rolling parts in the engine,
but after replacing most of them (old water pump and belts), still a constant whining noise is heard from the fuel pump area.
I couldn't find information regard it, if a restoration is possible or just replacing it;
Is it a good pump when new or it better to look for an aftermarket pump.
81' with FI, all original.

Thanks.

I had what I think was an aftermarket pump on my '85. It was extremely noisy. On mine the inlet of the pump was partly blocked by rust from the tank. Cleaning this out reduced the noise level considerably.

Reactions: 81x
I bought an aftermarket pump that came with a lifetime warranty. I'll look for the receipt, I don't recall the vendor. It has performed flawlessly. You may want to consider adding a pre-filter (MWB sells one for FI), since the in tank screen is probably toast by now.

The electric pumps for the FI engines are very robust and rarely fail. You can test the pressure and flow rate to see if it is good, but you will need to make a test rig to do that. Pressure is relatively easy to check, but volume (flow) is more complicated, and that is actually more critical.

As mentioned by Gene, accumulated crud at its inlet is the most common reason for any failures that do happen. This is why the addition of a filter before the pump should always be done. You can remove the pump and see if there is any obvious crud that can be cleaned out like Gene did, but usually it is on the internal screen (which is a primitive filter to protect the pump). Unfortunately that screen cannot be serviced or cleaned, there is a check valve that prevents backflushing it, so if it is clogged the pump is no good.

The noise might be the mounting bracket. Depending on the specific design, it should either have some type of insulating material between the pump's body and the mounting bracket, and/or rubber isolation mounts between it and the car's body. If any of those are shot it will be noisy.

Should the pump need to be replaced there are lots of options. Any pump with the correct specs (not only pressure but volume of flow at that pressure) can be used. You might need to make changes to the inlet and outlet connections. But it may be much easier to find a generic FI pump in Israel than have to pay the import tax to get a 'genuine' one. Just be sure to add a second filter before the pump to protect it.

Thanks for all the tips, i'll go deeper on it.
Dr.Jeff, as an end market, buying in Israel is almost all the time more expensive than imported parts.
@lookforjoe i'll appreciate the brand and spec of the pump, just in case.

Took me a while to find it, sorry

X19-0417.png

Back