Non hubcentric wheel and appropriate tire questions

Loctite is NOT a bad idea!

Not just on the studs, but also a DROP on the studs as you install the lug nuts.

Its the following statement you made that has me curious/concerned, though:

"Anyway, my wheels do not have inserts, just tapered washers. I have ordered lug studs * 12 mm diam. x 1.25 thread pitch that are 1.75" long and have sourced the corresponding lug nuts near Carlisle."

What are "tapered washers". Are you saying that these wheels use the tapered lug nuts? Do the wheels appear like the ONE posted by Jim and Matt? This one here:

fiat-wheels-tenn-b.jpg

Or do they have the STRAIGHT BORE holes that require the shouldered lugs like we mentioned earlier? Like this one here:

ansen11je.jpg

Secondly... The studs you ordered are 1 3/4 inches long. Did you measure and compensate or allow for a 10 or 12 mm spacer also?

I don't mean to alarm you... it just sounds a bit short for these wheels with spacers, especially if they require a shouldered lugnut.

Lastly... where did you source the STUDS and LUGS... and do they offer longer sizes?

I have those wheels, bought from Matt...

Converted to studs and acorn type lugnuts. Yes, loctite red on the studs. I bought two standard nuts of same thread to install the studs and torqued above what you would torque your wheels to. Sumo's 185x60x13 all the way around.

Tom...

The BIG question is... are they SHOULDERED lugnuts or are they TAPERED?

(I'm not sure why I can't make that clear or get a definitive answer from Gary... now you... so it must be ME! Maybe a larger font or in bold or something... HA!)

Tom, p.s. I sure like those wheels!

HA!

Don't know what makes them so attractive to me now. Must be their rarity. But in the late 70's and and early 80's almost EVERY FIAT I ever saw had them, be it and X or a 124~ and I was sick of seeing them!

Tapered lug nuts...

So they center it. I thought "acorn lugnuts" as I worded them originally meant tapered? Sorry for any confusion....

And I love the wheels... got some snap in chrome centers for about $25 on eBay and haven't lost one yet. BTW... I bought TWO sets of those and donated them to ummmm.. well, let's just say to the wheels that used to belong to JimD...

EDIT- The pic that JimD posted from Midwest is the same pic that was up when I bought my wheels there. Tapered seats like that.

Last edited:
Thanks Tom...

Yes... ACORN nuts are called that because of their ROUNDED tops, and like most all others, they can be TAPERED or SHOULDERED where they contact the wheel, be they lug BOLTS or lug NUTS!

As for your "donation"... you are the second person in a month now where I have SINCE learned... has contributed to that unworthy cause. That S.O.B. really negatively impacted a lot of souls on this site.

I trust, that he will get his JUST reward someday soon!

That's cool...

went to Lugnut King or something, couldn't tell if the acorn was the top or the tapered bottom... :drink: The lug bolts I was using before the stud conversion were tapered as well. Thanks for the info..

I gave cash as well... however, was never solicited for anything... it happens... won't stop me from trying to help others... but any way.... don't need to re-open that can...

I'll take some pictures

My wheels look like Tony's second picture. I will take pictures of wheels, studs, lug nuts and washers in near future, BUT I will need some direction on how to upload them for viewing as I am not very Web friendly

Back