Nothing exceeds like excess

I have 2 x19s and an 850... :wacko: I know I am crazy... and none of them run worth a damn....:rolleyes: Mostly my fault...:mallet:

Are you implying that I am the home to girlie colored X1/9s? I resemble that remark.:pimp:

No, no. Simply, you're like those guys who are comfortable enough with their manhood to wear pink or purple or teal. BTW, your '86 looks more like a metallic royal blue to me, but if you need for it to be "teal" in order to compliment/challenge your manliness, then so be it.:grouphug:

John O.

Well seriously Todd... the paintwork was...

... carefully done and looks to be WELL done as well.

I do believe it does need a splash of CHROME and CONTRAST though.

(I'm old skool, but please consider the following:

You have a CRUISER/GT COLOR there, not a racer or beater or Rat-Rod color, I'd take advantage of it.

1. Chrome wheels... ala Peter's Maroon X up in Canada BEFORE messed it up with his current wheels (HA). I'd go for adapters and 15 inchers with a 50 series wide tire.... Of course, Big and Littles

2. Polished bumpers, to a chrome like shine and clear coated.

3. A contrasting Stripe... maybe picking up the interior colors somehow in a two or three color combo... dividing the top part of the car from the bottom... giving it an appearance of some more length and lower.

Then give it to your wife... she'll have a ball with it!

Frame

The most crucial difference between the 850 and the X is the frame. The X was designed with the up-and-coming US Federal crash standards clearly in mind. Only the X and a Volvo passed, out of all European and US cars. This is not a myth or an urban legend, it's true.

I personally find this to be comforting. The only down side is the added weight. It would have been underpowered even without the extra frame weight. If only they had dropped in the marvelous V6 Dino that Fiat actually made for Ferrari to their specs for homologation, it would have been a giant killer.

The main problem with this notion is that this was a gas-crisis car. Gandini was chided by the Fiat management of making a "poor man's Miura," but Agnelli himself was behind the project and it made it, after a somewhat extended development cycle.

The 850 is a nightmare in the frame department, with no shortage of horror stories; cars breaking in half while in motion, arriving on the US shores with rust already developed, just to list two. I would never own an 850 for this reason, the frame is a crap-shoot, no matter how nice the car.

The 850 was a beautiful car, very well styled and executed. It gets included in that era when carmakers actually cared, and it showed. They were passionate about making great, interesting, and highly functional cars as opposed to merely cost being the driving factor. After all the criticism and jokes and "Fixed it again...." junk is said and done, Fiat cared, and that's exactly why we're here as a group of enthusiasts pondering these cars, enjoying them, modifying them, and being part of a community of like-minded individuals.

I'm excited to show pictures of the 79 in a few months with her makeover. Just my two cents.

Hello everyone. I'm Dave and .....

I'm an Italoholic.
If that wasn't enough I suffer from Alfatosis, Fiatitis and a near terminal case of Farangina, a particularly nasty mutation of exxophilia.

All I can offer by way of advice is the twelve step rule.
Allways keep your credit cards at least twelve steps away .......

Hate to mention this but ..... wasn't teal a BMC colour for the Sprite/Midget?

Did someone say Yellow?

Todd, paint it classic Fiat Yellow with some nice wheels....or just buy my X and leave the low mileage X you just got as a garage queen.

carl

A Garage Queen?

Carl, how long have you known me? I am the wrong person to own a low mileage car. I remember the 88 Alfa Quad spider I bought in 1996 with 3,600 miles on it. I sold it 3 years later with 18,000 miles on it. I drive my cars.

Back