O2 sensor plug...

wrxdrew

1300cc's of Angry Bees
My Vicks header has a bung for an O2 sensor and it will obviously need plugging. Anybody know off hand what size and thread pitch the hole would be? How about any simple tricks for plugging the hole... For example, Ricardo had a cool Gatorade cap solution to plug holes where the bumpers used to be, not to mention a great door stop strut top cover.

As always any help is greatlty appreciated.

But Wait! That's Not All!

I just replaced my O2 sensor....want the old one?

FI cars have an extra bung and bolt/plug on the cat end of the downpipe, intended for use with test equipment. If you can get hold of a scrapped FI exhaust, you'll have an OEM plug.

Thanks for posting this

I'm gonna need to plug mine also, exactly what I was wondering but hadn't gotten around to looking yet, saved me a lot of time.

Thanks,
Michael

Sorry Dan but...

...that extra bung/plug at the cat end of the front pipe is for attaching a CO meter to set the fuel mixture and is a completely different (much smaller) size than the O2 sensor bung. Hence that plug would not work.

The previous poster was correct, the O2 bung is 18 x 1.5 mm thread. What many people don't know is this size is common to about 95% of all cars in the world - even GM, Ford, Japanese, and yes Fiat.

The 02 bung plug the initial poster was looking for is actually a very common parts these days. Many aftermarket pipes and cats have them. Often a pipe for a certain car say has an 02 port for one year but not in the previous year. Instead of making two different pipes the aftermarket supplier just makes the one with the 02 port and supplies a threaded plug for use where it is not required.

Thus when the 02 port is required the installer removes the plug and discards it. I have seen these plugs with a variety of head shapes but they will all work.

So if you are looking for one, just pop into your local muffler shop. Bring him a coffee and I'm sure he will give you a couple. Also, any parts jobber should stock them. They are available seperately from Walker, Maremont, etc.

I would strongly advise you use one of these screw-in plugs instead of welding the hole shut. Maybe someday you will need the bung for a wideband a/f reader for tuning...

Hope this helps. Cheers, Doug

Back