O2 Sensor Question

Tavalin

Florida Mike (again)
How to tell if the O2 sensor is working? I have replaced it, cleaned it but how do I know it is functional?

Thanks,
Mike

The FI troubleshooter steps require a CO meter be inserted into the system to make the checks in accordance with the supplied instructions, but it's unlikely you have a CO meter handy.

A generic guide to early Bosch injection systems like the L-Jet also make reference to CO levels to test the O2 sensor. It does say that you can do a voltage test. Run the engine at 3000rpm for at least 30 seconds, then take a voltage reading from the sensor. If it generates fluctuating voltage, it is working.

Also, some good and practical O2 advice at the bottom of this page: http://www.hiperformancestore.com/Ljetronic.htm

The FI troubleshooter steps require a CO meter be inserted into the system to make the checks in accordance with the supplied instructions, but it's unlikely you have a CO meter handy.

A generic guide to early Bosch injection systems like the L-Jet also make reference to CO levels to test the O2 sensor. It does say that you can do a voltage test. Run the engine at 3000rpm for at least 30 seconds, then take a voltage reading from the sensor. If it generates fluctuating voltage, it is working.

Also, some good and practical O2 advice at the bottom of this page: http://www.hiperformancestore.com/Ljetronic.htm
Dan Sarandrea (Phila),
Perfect!!! Thanks... wish me luck. My neighbor is a master mechanic and has three 2006 BMW and a 1986 Mustang GT convertible. He actually might have the CO meter. If not, I will pull the sensor and perform a voltage test.
What scares me is when I started working on the X I couldn’t find the wire to the sensor and a bolt was in place of the sensor. The wire was plugged into the test wire on top of the engine. I hope mother got fried due to that.
Thank again,
Mike

Dan Sarandrea (Phila),
Perfect!!! Thanks... wish me luck. My neighbor is a master mechanic and has three 2006 BMW and a 1986 Mustang GT convertible. He actually might have the CO meter. If not, I will pull the sensor and perform a voltage test.
What scares me is when I started working on the X I couldn’t find the wire to the sensor and a bolt was in place of the sensor. The wire was plugged into the test wire on top of the engine. I hope mother got fried due to that.
Thank again,
Mike
You do not pull the sensor for this test; you measure with the sensor installed and connected.

Back