Odd X-1/9 pic of the night

Rooster

piccole ma cattive
Anybody ever dig this one up?

Picture166.jpg

Powered by a Hyabusa motor and made it to 149mph

That's an entirely different front end...

and 147 or 149 is rather amazing also.

What really impresses me is the top chop, targa-bar chop, and laying back that windshield. There was some care and effort made there... originally.

I think my original response to his original post was "Only an Italian could love a nose piece like that." Now I'd say "I guess ya really haveta wanna go 150 to extend and hack up the front end like that..." I'm not sure the same person did the work... but, it apparently does indeed get the job done!

I have always thought the X would look better with a chop top but I think it would be beyond difficult from a fabrication stand point.

Well Mike... I tend to think no...

as the rate of fall less the wind resistance would put it at about 120mph.

HA!

We need a rocket scientist

We have a pretty good handle on the mass of an X. The notes on the right 0.3 for the drag coefficient for a "car" generically. I had no idea what the cross section area (CS area) would be.

I figure if you push a stock X out of an airplane it will fall tail first due to the engine weight. This probably throws the 0.3 drag coefficient out the window (or I guess out of the plane with the car at least), but I have no idea what else to put in there. I put in 2250lbs for the mass and tried 1 square meter and two square meters for the cross section.

Here are the results:
2250lbs, 1sq meter CS, .03 CD = 471.788 mph terminal velocity

2250lbs, 2sq meter CS, .03 CD = 333.604 mph terminal velocity

Of course, since I have no idea what I am doing it is all meaningless!! HA! :)

I typed in a few guestimated numbers and the best I got was around 94.3 mph.... even falling our cars are slow :doh:

I didn't even try to do the math...

but its just kinda been my understanding that in a VACUUM everything will fall at the same rate, or about 120 mph. A falling X1/9 in atmosphere would haveta be something less than that...

but its just kinda been my understanding that in a VACUUM everything will fall at the same rate, or about 120 mph. A falling X1/9 in atmosphere would haveta be something less than that...

If I am correct Tony, that is applied when you have atmospheric pressure. The resistance of the atmosphere is what limits objects to 120mph in a free fall. In a vacuum I believe there is no terminal velocity.

Good Point Wil... and...

WHERE THE HELL HAVE YOU BEEN?

HA!

Great to hear from you... and I haven't heard from your neighbor as of late... Andrew, not since before Christmas. I fear the worst!

WHERE THE HELL HAVE YOU BEEN?

HA!

Great to hear from you... and I haven't heard from your neighbor as of late... Andrew, not since before Christmas. I fear the worst!

I have been around, just busy with school and such.

As for the OP, the more i look at this car the more I want to see what a "stock bodied" chop top X1/9 would look like

Geez! And people complain about head-room as it is!

I'll admit that since seeing that pic, I've been eyeing my X every time I walk past it, thinking the same thing. :shock: Hmmm, if I were to cut here, then I could re-weld the targa here, with a little filler metal there and then rake the windshield back to here... Means trimming the side and rear windows - oh, I know, make 'em out of perspex. And then if I... yeah, you get the picture - I'm already working out the stress variables on chassis flex, too! :thumbsup:

Geez! And people complain about head-room as it is!

I'll admit that since seeing that pic, I've been eyeing my X every time I walk past it, thinking the same thing. :shock: Hmmm, if I were to cut here, then I could re-weld the targa here, with a little filler metal there and then rake the windshield back to here... Means trimming the side and rear windows - oh, I know, make 'em out of perspex. And then if I... yeah, you get the picture - I'm already working out the stress variables on chassis flex, too! :thumbsup:

You would end up with something like this! I would weld a new custom shaped aluminum roof up there as well. I would also cut into the front trunk reposition the peddles forward and have a formula style driving/riding position.
xchoped.jpg

I like it! My thought was to keep the targa top, but custom made like a RB saratoga to fit the new lines. Too many problems with welding aluminum to steel, unless you made a steel frame that the aluminum panel would mount to and weld the frame to the body. In which case, you could probably still keep the open-top aspect of the car.

I had also tinkered with the idea of lowering the body lines a bit too, but that would really get into the structure of the car...

Back