OIL FILTER HELP

peter mcpartlin

Irish dreamer
Looking for the NAPA GOLD filter number for the 1500 . The Napa store sold me a big old thing that was twice as big as the Wix filter that was on the car when I bought it. Help!

yeah

I work at carquest and the number I found by application was too big too. I had to cross the Volvo filter that was on the car. I got a K&N HP-1009 for my 86 1.5 and it fits perfect.

Glad to hear...

...you've enjoyed LesX enough to need oil change already!
Baxter Auto Parts carries small Wix filter.
Believe the listing is for Yugo.

I trust you and the car are doing well?

Still running that BadBoy Faza exhaust?
After 1000 miles, I was ready to swap back to stock,
but did enjoy getting rowdy for a while.

Yes Mike , All is well down South. I have that oil nice and dark. Felt so good to have the top off these last few days. I am with you on the exhaust.. Fun to be a rebel.
I have really enjoyed LesX ! Thanks for saying hi!

Oil Filter.

The filter that should be on the car from Fiat when I worked in the dealership is quite large.
Fram PH7 is the replacement. Yes there are some smaller filters but most believe that due to the high reving engine a bigger filter is a good thing.

I always use the big filter on my car.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

I use the Mahle filter.

I use a Mahle oil filter (Part # OC-28). I believe I cross-referenced this some years back, also it's what we have on the shelf at the shop.
Rolf.

The filter that should be on the car from Fiat when I worked in the dealership is quite large.
Fram PH7 is the replacement. Yes there are some smaller filters but most believe that due to the high reving engine a bigger filter is a good thing.

I always use the big filter on my car.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

Unless Fram has changed it, the PH7 does not have a check valve. I would not suggest using it. If you want the BIG filter use the WIX.
I personally do not suggest the BIG filter in the X because it's just to big to easily get out & in.

Wix?

Sorry Chris, not in Canada. ( Wix ) One of those boarder things again.

Car Quest has a cross reference and it is the big filter. Not so bad to change if you take off the air baffling around it first. I know a lot of people have either tossed it or just take out the 2 self tappers and bend the baffle down. Then changing the big filter is a pain.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

PH7

I've had my '74 since '77 and have always used Fram PH7's. Have run street, auto-X, and club racing on track.

Still easy to find on Ebay and at farm supply stores. What is the rub regarding check valves or no check valves?

Fram PH7's obsolete down here......!!

...... What is the rub regarding check valves or no check valves?

PH7's have been superceded by PH2857A down in this part of the world.
I totally agree with Chris O. about the importance of an oil filter having a check valve/anti-drainback valve!
If you don't wan't that NASTY crankshaft bearing rattle on cold engine start-up, make sure your buy an oil filter that HAS an anti-drainback valve!!

cheers, Ian - NZ

Baldwin

Last time I changed the filter I bought a Baldwin BT5 (108 mm dia, 100 mm tall). On the Baldwin web site the BT5 is listed for Fiat up until 1983, then for 1984 onward Bertone it lists B34 (93.7 mm dia, 98.4 mm tall). The BT5 fits just fine on my '85. Both filters have check valves.

The Baldwin site shows BT5 as a cross for Fram PH7

Last edited:
Hmmm, maybe it should be............!!

That term, OBSOLETE... kinda fitting for a man of your age, I'd say...

......."retrofitted"!! Now there's a new fangle-dangle Gen-Y term for obsolete item, Tony!!! :geek:
Hey mate, we can't have us 'highly-respected senior citizens' being scoffed at for using "ye olde worlde" terminology, y'know!!

How am I doin'?? Just fine, buddy - summer just keeps on comin' on down here!! Been cruisin' around our beach area in the X (with roof off) for ages, mate!!:pimp:
How 'bout you getting in touch with your travel agent and shouting yourself and Sharon a holiday in the sunny South Pacific, old fella???

cheers, Ian - NZ

I've had my '74 since '77 and have always used Fram PH7's. Have run street, auto-X, and club racing on track.

Still easy to find on Ebay and at farm supply stores. What is the rub regarding check valves or no check valves?

Really no problem to run a filter with no check valve... It just means on start up all the oil in the lubrication system has had a chance to drain back out thru the oil pump, so the pump only needs to prime & then start to fill up & then pressurize the system.

Expect to change bearings more often.

Was just at Advanced Auto

and this is the list they gave me for a 79 X1/9

K&N HP-204
Mobil1 M1-204
ACDelco PF13
Fram PH7
Purolator Classic L20020
Beck/Arnley 041-8148

Sounds good...

... but we can't seem to get further than ten feet from a potty every 30 minutes and after 2 hours we're pooped... both literally and figuratively.

There is always hope I guess...

Back