Oil filter housing

ward00

True Classic
I would like to replace the boat anchor that the Lancia uses for a oil filter housing. My understanding is that this Fiat oil filter housing can be used. If anyone has done the replacement, were there any mods that you needed to do to make it fit or was it a drop in replacement?
Capture.JPG

Below is what I posted on the Monte Facebook page in response to Mike Gillies question. The next post you will see Mikes Gillies response. He is restoring a S2 in Australia and it is beautiful.

Be careful with that oil filter housing, when you are using the stock scorpion and water pump pulley. The alternator has to be moved 1/4” towards the oil filter housing for the belt to line up properly. I took my alternator to a machine shop and they removed 1/4 of material from the bottom front mount. When you do this then the fan belt is really close to the timing tensioner bearing stud. I had to use a thinner 17mm nut and trim the stud. I used locktite on the the nut just in case. Now when you get the belt to line up and the stud trimmed the alternator will foul one of the metal coolant pipes. I moved the pipers “over” towards the passenger fender. I did this by shifting the pipes over so only one pipe was held by the bracket. This change required a different coolant hose, I spliced a hose using a coupler. Trimming of the stud always worried me but I never had a problem then again I didn’t drive the car much. Such a cleaner looking arrangement.

Last edited:
Update: Ralph is indeed correct, the 124 Spider oil filter housing is about 5mm too far to the RHS making the V-belt a little out of alignment with the engine pulleys. Can be fixed with grinding the RHS face back and fitting spacers etc.
However, the Beta oil filter housing (p/n 82303940) is a perfect match to the Monte alternator belt alignment. All you have to do is drill out the support sleeve from 8mm to 12mm to take the OE lower alternator mounting bolt. By locating the alternator in the uppermost vertical position, the V-belt "just" clears the cam belt tensioner stud. Pics following.

From Mark Gillies
1642511897734.png

Forgot to mention... I also shaved 2-3mm off the hex bolt end of the sleeve (left in pic) which gave me a slightly better alignment of the V-belt.
1642511987681.png

3EAAA027-8B19-45ED-B8B6-49164015DA15.jpeg

I run the Fiat housing. You’ll need the upper alternator bracket. Mine is fabricated just becuz needed further throw when I had dual DCOEs fitted. Also allows the belt to be further distanced from tensioner bolt mentioned above. You may need a stubby oil filter to clear the crossmember. I have an oil cooler sandwich plate on mine so your results may vary there.

If you are doing the Bosch alternator you may not need to space it.

Have you confirmed yours in the cast iron boat anchor variety? It has the AC compressor mount without the compressor? The early Scorpions I’ve seen that came without AC didn’t have the cast iron housing.

Last edited:
Dave’s setup is running a Spider water pump, spider crank and water pump pulleys. And the metal coolant pipes have been cut. I thought of going that route but wanted to stay fairly stock and keep my heater. Thanks!

Last edited:
Dave’s setup is running a Spider water pump, spider crank and water pump pulleys. And the metal coolant pipes hard have been cut. I thought of going that route but wanted to stay fairly stock and keep my heater. Thanks!

Yeah, but before I had the Lancia water pump, heater hose outlet and Lancia pulleys using the aluminum oil filter housing which didn’t change when I converted to the bling bling pulleys.

4E7421B8-AA90-4113-BEA8-56C420130F94.jpeg

View attachment 57200

I run the Fiat housing. You’ll need the upper alternator bracket. Mine is fabricated just becuz needed further throw when I had dual DCOEs fitted. Also allows the belt to be further distanced from tensioner bolt mentioned above. You may need a stubby oil filter to clear the crossmember. I have an oil cooler sandwich plate on mine so your results may vary there.

If you are doing the Bosch alternator you may not need to space it.

Have you confirmed yours in the cast iron boat anchor variety? It has the AC compressor mount without the compressor? The early Scorpions I’ve seen that came without AC didn’t have the cast iron housing.
Yes, I have the cast iron one. My car is a 75 Beta Montecarlo with no AC. Since this project is more cosmetic than anything else, I'm going to shift focus to getting my rear bushings replaced (new thread to follow). Thanks for all the good info.

Yes, I have the cast iron one. My car is a 75 Beta Montecarlo with no AC. Since this project is more cosmetic than anything else, I'm going to shift focus to getting my rear bushings replaced (new thread to follow). Thanks for all the good info.

IIIRC the weight difference between the cast iron that has the compressor mount and the aluminum housing is 13 pounds. The modification also creates better access to intake manifold hardware, oil separator and starter while lowering the alternator weight's center of gravity.

Update: Ralph is indeed correct, the 124 Spider oil filter housing is about 5mm too far to the RHS making the V-belt a little out of alignment with the engine pulleys. Can be fixed with grinding the RHS face back and fitting spacers etc.
However, the Beta oil filter housing (p/n 82303940) is a perfect match to the Monte alternator belt alignment. All you have to do is drill out the support sleeve from 8mm to 12mm to take the OE lower alternator mounting bolt. By locating the alternator in the uppermost vertical position, the V-belt "just" clears the cam belt tensioner stud. Pics following.
Got everything fixed so started to look at this. Did you know the Beta oil filter housing 82303940 costs close to $1000 bucks on ebay! Makes buying rust buckets really worth it.

Got everything fixed so started to look at this. Did you know the Beta oil filter housing 82303940 costs close to $1000 bucks on ebay! Makes buying rust buckets really worth it.
unless you look a little harder and find one for under 90 euro

SteveC

I just got mine yesterday, I posted a wanted ad on the beta Facebook page and the Betaboyz forum. The total cost was close to 90.00.

Don't forget you'll want the upper bracket also.

Join a Beta FB group and post a WTB post. Someone will be parting out a rusty old heap and take much less for one.

My local vintage car repair shop had several Fiat/Lancia twincams sitting in storage and I would go harvest the aluminum oil filter housings from them for Scorpion owners years ago. Check your local shops and if not I can ask my guy if they have any now.

Last edited:
Might as well be $1000, they dont ship to the US
the listing says "Spedizione - tutto il mondo" ... shipping worldwide.,
I was just going off that.

I can't believe the other vendor in Italy is asking 777 euro for this piece, that has to be a typo...
I can see it being worth $100, but no one would spend $1000 on this.

I've pulled apart a few Lancias in my time, I'll have a look in my oil filter housing box or parts over the weekend

SteveC

Well I found one "pair" ... i.e. oil filter housing / upper bracket which I must have cable tied together when I put them away.

20220128_124929.jpg

Postage on 1kg to the USA is $40aud, and $100aud for the housing/bracket pair works out to just under $100usd, paypal OK

@lanciahf I'll keep looking as I may have more upper brackets in my storage unit

SteveC

Well I found one "pair" ... i.e. oil filter housing / upper bracket which I must have cable tied together when I put them away.

View attachment 57523

Postage on 1kg to the USA is $40aud, and $100aud for the housing/bracket pair works out to just under $100usd, paypal OK

@lanciahf I'll keep looking as I may have more upper brackets in my storage unit

SteveC
Will paypal you the 100usd later today. Thanks

View attachment 57523

SteveC
Thanks Steve, That looks like A Spider Upper Alternator bracket which I have. I was looking for one of these but if you think that one work I can try it.

The bracket below I believe is a two piece affair that needs a part that bolts to the intake cam housing? Maybe they needed this long bracket to get around the block mounted distributor?
1643387910861.jpeg

Last edited:
The upper bracket like in Steve's photo is preferred choice given less fasteners to mishap and sturdier mounting to engine. I thought ones I procured may have been longer throw. The more room to throw further out the more flexibly to keep belt from the tensioner bolt. Also if you ever do a induction system like DCOEs or Volumex or the straight out not offset DCNF intake.

Back