Oil leak

That's worth knowing.....!!

....The oil filter for any year Volvo 240/740 series is also a perfect match, and short in height, too.

Hussein, do you have a Volvo p/number for that? Or maybe a Fram equivalent number?
I like the suggestion of it being a little shorter in length!
I guess the Volvo filter is also manufactured with an anti-drainback valve internally??

This is a common oil leak problem. For some reason the oil pressure switch tends to fail or leak over time.

Check to see if this is the same oil pressure switch used on the 124 Spyder, it might be.

Bernice

Thanks for all the guidance, fellas. I removed the sender, cleaned it up and blew through the end with the hole....yuck! Oil started seeping out from around the plastic part. I found a Bosch oil filter I had ordered a while back, so I'll make double sure there aren't any more problems and change the oil and filter while I'm under there.

dist seal was my first guess.

Thankfully I was wrong.
Bernice, according to Matt's website, it is the same switch, but when I called IAP, they didn't carry it.

Hussein, do you have a Volvo p/number for that? Or maybe a Fram equivalent number?
I like the suggestion of it being a little shorter in length!
I guess the Volvo filter is also manufactured with an anti-drainback valve internally??

Volvo 3517857 Mann W917 Fram PH738

yes to the check valve.

EDIT: Volvo 240 series oil pressure switch 1347003 (under $4.00!) would also work (M14x1.5), but you'd need to replace the harness terminal 3523813

Thanks, mate, good info..........!

.......particularly about the oil pressure light switch!

But Volvo parts prices ain't all that friendly down here in NZ! My g/f runs a very neat '74 122 2-door. Parts for that baby keep her poor!! :eek:

cheers, Ian - NZ

must be a 142....

..if it's a '74 :)

cars0016a.jpg

Bingo............!!

..if it's a '74 :)

.........you are dead right!! :clap: My typo there!

It's the first of the big (read UGLY) bumper models!! She shipped it over from Oz when moving back to NZ a few years ago!
I always preferred the look of the smaller chrome bumpers on the earlier (up to and incl. '73) 140 series Volvo's. And now, these same earlier models seem to be more sought after by Volvo fans than the later ones.
Bit similar to the small (Euro) bumpers/large (clunky) bumpers argument applicable to our X1/9's!

cheers, Ian - NZ

Back