Oil leaking at fuel pump

texyoung

Husband to X1/9
I have an oil leak where the fuel pump mounts to the engine block. Is it just needing new gaskets? Is the spacer possibly warped or bad? Anyone else ever experienced this kind of oil leak? Any advice before I take the pump off would be helpful.

Thanks!

More than likely just a simple oil leak from a failed gasket. Our vendors have new gaskets, new spacers and new fuel pumps if needed, at pretty reasonable prices. Compared to replacing an in-tank fuel pump on a car newer than about 2000---CHEEP!!!:D

There are some semi-obscure things to know about fixing this:

1. Access to the front side of the engine is greatly enhanced if you use the access panel located in the spare tire compartment. This was added for the 1977 model year, and some X owners are not aware of it.

2. The fuel pump stroke is adjusted by use of the proper combination of gaskets. See: http://xwebforums.com/wiki/images/8/87/WrokshopManual_24.pdf

3. My observation is that today's fuel is murder on yesterday's fuel system rubber formulations. While it's out, you might want to check with our vendors for a replacement fuel pump of recent manufacture.

More than likely just a simple oil leak from a failed gasket. Our vendors have new gaskets, new spacers and new fuel pumps if needed, at pretty reasonable prices. Compared to replacing an in-tank fuel pump on a car newer than about 2000---CHEEP!!!:D

There are some semi-obscure things to know about fixing this:

1. Access to the front side of the engine is greatly enhanced if you use the access panel located in the spare tire compartment. This was added for the 1977 model year, and some X owners are not aware of it.

2. The fuel pump stroke is adjusted by use of the proper combination of gaskets. See: http://xwebforums.com/wiki/images/8/87/WrokshopManual_24.pdf

3. My observation is that today's fuel is murder on yesterday's fuel system rubber formulations. While it's out, you might want to check with our vendors for a replacement fuel pump of recent manufacture.
Thanks for the advice. Duly noted.....

Fuel pump to block gasket has failed or the fuel pump to block flange is warped. In either case, replace the gaskets and check to verify the fuel pump flange is flat. Know the thickness of gaskets between fuel pump to block is used to set fuel pressure. Note and keep track of how thick the stack of gaskets are before replacing them. The Fiat oem engine gasket set has an assortment of fuel pump gaskets specifically for this reason. If you need fuel pump gaskets send me a PM.

Bernice

Fuel pump to block gasket has failed or the fuel pump to block flange is warped. In either case, replace the gaskets and check to verify the fuel pump flange is flat. Know the thickness of gaskets between fuel pump to block is used to set fuel pressure. Note and keep track of how thick the stack of gaskets are before replacing them. The Fiat oem engine gasket set has an assortment of fuel pump gaskets specifically for this reason. If you need fuel pump gaskets send me a PM.

Bernice
Will do thanks!

Back