ok I'm going to put the cam box back on

myexonenine

True Classic
wish me luck with my shim/valve clearances... I've just bought a new gasket, and I'm hoping this wont upset the shimming. I don't really want to buy the special tool, maybe if its not right I will try again to make a tool.

If anything....

the new gasket will probably increase your clearances, so it will error on the side of caution.

Good luck.

Eric

new gasket is thicker on half??? can't explain why its only on some... so I need more :hrmph: shims, this is starting to piss me off!

There are several different gasket types...

new gasket is thicker on half??? can't explain why its only on some... so I need more :hrmph: shims, this is starting to piss me off!

There are several different gasket types, and they're all slightly different thicknesses. I just assume that if I'm replacing that gasket, I'm also going to be reshimming.

Someone mentioned to me in an offline comment (I'll let him speak up for himself) that he had a shim set and tool that he was about to put on ebay... Although shipping to Australia might be a problem; a shim set isn't very big but it is heavy for its size.

Shims....

You can also use shims from a volvo. They are the same size. Might be easier to source them locally versus shipping from another country.

What are your settings?

Did you rotate the engine through 360 degrees before measuring the shims again?

Eric

yeah I rotated the cam several times before measuring and before double checking the measurements...

The gasket I have has one sticky side that goes to the cam box, so far I have not applied sealant to the other side so I can pull it off to change the shims, should I apply sealant once I have the correct shims in?

I'm trying to get the gaps to .4mm for inlet and .5mm for exhaust, I believe this is correct, its on a Mk1 1.3 Uno Turbo...

wish me luck with my shim/valve clearances... I've just bought a new gasket, and I'm hoping this wont upset the shimming. I don't really want to buy the special tool, maybe if its not right I will try again to make a tool.

good luck! If you've never used the tool its hard to appreciate how good it works and how tight the clearances are. I wouldn't want to try and make one, and screwdrivers aren't an option from what I see. If you have to adjust the valves buy the tool, its not hard with the right tool.

Doesn't Matt have shims? I know I do... contact Matt first, if not send me what shim size you need, and send me your old ones.

Back