OK my fellow Xweb friends...thought I'd throw this one out there..

Quantumleap

Rich Banks
Friday morning I was on the way to work, then at a traffic light, my baby cut out on me, Idle fell and didnt come back up...and conk! It cranked and cranked, but didn't start. Pushed it myself out of the intersection, (I'm a big guy and shes a small car LOL), after letting it cool down I tried again and surprise, restarted without a hitch and I decided then to take it back home and take the day off. For a couple of weeks prior, she would drop idle cold or warmed up, and I'd keep my foot on the gas in neutral at stop lights etc. to prevent it from dying, I don't have a loss of power, just that condition when it happens, sometimes it wouldn't do that at all, idle stays at around 1000-1100 rpm, but now its regular, any ideas? I was thinking fuel filter but wanted to get some ideas first.

Usually when they quit running and restart after they cool down it's the Bosch ignition module. Mine did that many years ago and I replaced it with a Marelli system. But that doesn't really explain the idle issues.

Have you tried...

spraying some air mass flow meter cleaner in the air mass flow meter? Dumping some Seafoam in the tank seems prudent also. One question, though. It seems like it gave you plenty of notice that something was amiss. Why did you drive it until it stranded you?:wall:

ditto

water temp sensor can become corroded and loose connection.
when it looses connection it will flood the system out.
usually will restart fine when cold and will drop idle or die when warm.

also a loose/leaking intake hose can let unmetered air in and cause issues. but usually will fire for a sec or 2 then die.

Hey Rich... there are only about 1000 possibilities...

(... and I know EXACTLY which one it is. HA! I wish!)

But you will eventually find it in the FI Trouble Shooting manual in the Best Of section here.

I don't think they really list this symptom... but it will give you a place to SYSTEMATICALLY go through all the possibilities.

I would have never thought of the EIM, but that is exactly what Rudy fought for about 2 years. You can PROVE it BAD by removing it from its mount and pluggin it back in... starting your COLD engine and then heat up the EIM with a 1200 watt hair dryer. It should fail in about 3 minutes. If it doesn't after about 5 minutes, then I suspect that it is OK.

(Also look to see if there was a WATERLINE in the pod it sits in and if the connecot is corroded. Rudy's was, and his drain was WELDED UP SHUT! We were not abole to save his EIM.)

The remainder of componants you'll have to "stare and compare" and get it to fail and replace them one a a time to see if you cure the problem. The FI TS Guide will POSSIBLY lead you throu the MOST likely first.

Sorry for all your trouble...

Back