Old Fiat Multipla???

Dr.Jeff

True Classic
I saw this picture (below) from the current Grassroots Motorsports $2000 Challenge event. It's the only shot they showed and unfortunately gave no information about it. I think it is (was) a Multipla? But it could be some other old van (maybe Asian?). I'm sure some of you more knowledgable Fiat experts will know.

1572093286_323a4933_mmthumb.jpg

It appears the guy is installing automatic trans friction discs way up at the front and from the side, so I imagine it has a front wheel drive swap of some sort. Obviously the chassis/suspension have been heavily modified. I'd love to see more of it and find out what's been done. Anyone know this vehicle?

I saw this picture (below) from the current Grassroots Motorsports $2000 Challenge event. It's the only shot they showed and unfortunately gave no information about it. I think it is (was) a Multipla? But it could be some other old van (maybe Asian?). I'm sure some of you more knowledgable Fiat experts will know.

View attachment 26685

It appears the guy is installing automatic trans friction discs way up at the front and from the side, so I imagine it has a front wheel drive swap of some sort. Obviously the chassis/suspension have been heavily modified. I'd love to see more of it and find out what's been done. Anyone know this vehicle?

The entry list shows a Subaru 360 Micro Mini Van. Not absolutely sure that's what is shown in the pic, but I think that's it.

I think Gene's got it - old Subaru 360 van. The Fiat 600 Multipla has a slightly rounder front profile.

Fiat_600_Multipla_1964_-_BW.jpg

Plus, even a basket-case Multipla will often command more than $2k these days. ;)

I see over $2000 in fab alone (or does labor not count?), free motor and body?

I agree with Gene, that sounds more like it. I'd still enjoy seeing the details of what they built with it. One of the vehicles on my build list (wish list?) is a small size import van/delivery vehicle of some sort with a engine/drivetrain swap and full custom mods. I've looked at the newer Asian ones that are available as either a truck or van:

20161011_140915 - Copy.jpg

But I'd prefer one of the older "classic" style ones from Europe. The one above was in Cypress (island) and offered to me for $800 shipped to the US. But he also had a Mercedes "A" class (not available in the US) that was only a few years old available for $1500 shipped. Seems the cost to ship a vehicle from there is quite low.

Jeff, I agree about costs. The GRM Challenge has always been a joke because the cars cost way more than $2,000 to build. My understanding is labor is free and some of these guys have friends that are professional welders and fabricators.

Jeff, I agree about costs. The GRM Challenge has always been a joke because the cars cost way more than $2,000 to build. My understanding is labor is free and some of these guys have friends that are professional welders and fabricators.
I dont mind the "professional" fabricators, but maybe also limit the toolset. I would love to see them use common tools rather then $$$$$ mills and CNC stuff. Maybe a cap on tool budget.

Odie

I believe they are also allowed to use any "existing" parts/equipment without including it in the cost total. So guys that already have a ton of expensive performance stuff (or say that had it) have an unfair advantage. But there is no way to really control costs, as racing has taught us for decades. However all in all I enjoy seeing what some people come up with and really don't care about the competition. I like the odd builds with radical ideas and a weird mix of parts. True home built projects on a budget rather than professionally made / bought cars. As far as I'm concerned it could just be a car show with no competitive aspects and I'd love it.

They ought to have a claiming rule. If you know that someone is going home with your car for $2,000 you may not spend so much on it.

Back