Old owner returning to the fold, needs motivational help

AW11_Tom

Hello :)

I am new to this forum so treat me gently. :wink2: I didn't know where to put an "introduce yourself" post so I've plonked it here (hope that's ok).

Anyway my name is Tom and I live in Shropshire in the UK. I am 39 year old mechanical design engineer (currently having a sabbattical whilst I think abnout what I want to do).

I have owned three X1/9s, a 1300 Lido which never worked properly, a 1756cc TwinCam Lido which I absolutely loved but rusted to bits :( and a Gran Finale.

The Gran Finale was taken off the road in 2002 to do some bodywork repairs and it hasn't moved since......:(

I have just become keen again on getting it back on the road so I have joined the forum. I am just in the process of stripping it down to see whether it can be saved or not.

I expect I will need some moral support when I get really down about how rusty it's gone! :help:

Last edited:
Hello :)

I am new to this forum so treat me gently. :wink2: I didn't know where to put an "introduce yourself" post so I've plonked it here (hope that's ok).
:

Welcome Tom. This is the place for exactly that. And if you spend any time reading this forum it will become obvious that there is little of the typical flaming that you see on othe forums.

I expect I will need some moral support when I get really down about how rusty it's gone! :help:

You will find plenty of that here. So why are you waisting time on the computer? Get our into the shop and get to work :hammer:

Incidentally, AW11_Tom? You have a Mk1 MR2? There are a few of us on this forum that have both, including me.

The MR2:

Nationals08Zack.jpg

The '74:

track032.jpg

Welcome Tom

This is the place to be if you have an X. There are a few of your fellow UK X owners on this forum already, so I am sure they will be happy to see you join.

Hiya Tom!

Not too far from you in Liverpool and we have other Brits here too like Julian based in Manchester and Rachael.
I've been on this site for about ten years and soley since the UK X1/9OC shut its doors to non-members.
They're a great crowd on here and, if you need tech help, they're always there for you.
This part of the site is usually used for other interests and discussions about anything other than Exxy issues. You'll soon find yourself hitting the XWeb bookmark daily!
I have a Faran that's kept me poor for eight years so I know about twincam transplants, but others are even more knowledgeable about the standard car. Some, like Steve Hoelscher, are experts with gearboxes and everyone has a speciality it seems.........
Glad to have you on board!

Last edited:
Tom... welcome back to the old addiction...

I guess you could call that a RELAPSE...

You've found the right spot and you'll find that MOST here will support you regardless of your taste as we are all "orphans" of sorts in our own rights.

Please send fotos as to your progress and I've found it best to ASK HERE FIRST before doing or deciding anything. There is someone that's done it before and can tell you how to do things better, faster, cheaper and with less frustration. You can also ask for OPINIONS, but like belly buttons, we all have several.

HA!

Enjoy...

Hi Tom! :)

Welcome to Xweb! Glad to have you with us :cool:

You posted in off topic which is totally ok, but I moved this thread (finally a move even Papa Tony would approve! :D ;)) into the main DF because off topic is not archived but the DF is and (again as Tony would say) it is about the cars AND the people who love them. Owner/enthusiast/user intro threads are well worthy of "archival glory" imo :pimp:

Tom you'll find no shortage of friendly confirmation you're nuts around here ;) as well as equal helpings of tech aid, parts, support, community :) Welcome to the madhouse!

And me

I have a 1300 X1/9 currently undergoing a respray and recently purchased an MR2 GTS Turbo...........I love the mid engined cars.

Darren NZ

Welcome!!!

Welcome to the forum and I'd like to make a few observations.

1. It's very rewarding to do your own (or most of it) to get something
"back together" that's been nagging in the back of your mind and existence, whether it's a tractor or a model car.

2. The satisfaction of getting a cool, fun, and timeless car like X multiplies the features of #1 by approximately a quadrillion.

3. Actually having this thing to drive, being gas efficient, and a blast
to drive, the gawk factor, and not outlandishly expensive to maintain, it's an easy decision, the returns you get for your time and money will be overwhelmingly satisfying.

4. I just learned that the new owner of Vicks Auto owns an X so that may realistically translate into quality parts for years to come.

5. Welcome.....we will be raising toasts to you all along the way, and the resources, and especially the people, are the best on the web, so.....what are you waiting on??? We're ready to help, and we're waiting on you! Just post pictures and by all means dive right in to our jovial banter.

You need motivational help?

As Rob Schneider said in The Water Boy (and many other movies)...
waterboy7.jpg

"You can DO it!"

HA!

I forgot about that one. That phrase is geared more towards MY life!
:excited:

Hey Duane- You don't live anywhere near that bayou, do you? Is your second car an airboat? Any gator on a stick, for dinner?

Last edited:
Wow! Thanks for the warm welcome :)

My family have been into X1/9's for a long. Here's a nice picture from a few years ago.

30 years of affordable sports cars. My dad’s 1978 Lido (long since sold), my 1988 MR2 Supercharger and my Dad’s Lotus Elise S1 pictured outside his house.

MR2_at_Hookgate_5.jpg

Anyway back to the present day:

I'm sure I left an X1/9 in here somewhere...

X19.jpg

Ahh, it's under here hiding:

X192.jpg

Using my Supercharger to pull my X1/9 from it's premature grave:

DSC00024.jpg

Ready for some major surgery:

X19109.jpg

Welcome from Scotland

Good to see another UK Xer on XWeb!

Looks like an interesting project, when was she last started?

If you need any parts then let me know, i've got X1/9 bits coming out of my ears! There are also some great suppliers here in the UK, some of whom don't advertise. PM me if you need anything

Iain

I'm afraid there is no happy ending to this thread.....:cry:

I dug out more and rust and then cut out an inspection / welding access hole to see if I think I could repair it.

DSC00098.jpg

DSC00174.jpg

DSC00182.jpg

The answer alas is no, I don't think I can do it :sad:

DSC00201.jpg

So I'm now getting rid of the lot..... Really upset about this

It's such a shame, from a distance it looks not bad at all

DSC00006.jpg

Just look at all the stuff I've accumulated.....:shock:

X19_For_Sale_Pics85_800x600.jpg

This is the 1756cc twincam that was in my old black lido...

X19_For_Sale_Pics62_800x600.jpg

I really hope someone will rebuild it and stick it back in an X1/9

X19_For_Sale_Pics91_800x600.jpg

Rather depressed about the whole thing....

Last edited:
Not sure what you're on about, is there some hidden problem we can't see? I little rust here and there doesn't make it a lost cause. If you saw pictures of what east-coast USA Xers commonly restored you'd feel differently. :)

RUST??

I have to agree, at least from what I see in your photos. That's a clean car here in the Midwest, USA! I got to say I respect you're not afraid to open it up and have a look see. Most folks wouldn't hack into their car-------------------
Good luck with your decision---
Doug

Since when did Englishmen get upset about rust?

I don't see much to be upset about. Easy to replace.

Don't give up yet, I am sure that engine would love to squeeze into the X and get up and running again.

Eric aRmstrong

Pffft!! You call that rusty?
Here....this should make you feel better. No, it's NOT a parts car, I'm fixing it. No really!

Picture001.jpg

Picture002.jpg

Picture004.jpg

Under the carpet
Picture015.jpg

Rear
Picture016.jpg

Upskirt.jpg

Some will think I'm carzy for fixing this pile, but it's only rust. You cut out the bad,weld in good,grind,fill, sand,prime and paint. No problem. Ok so I have to do a lot of it. No biggie.

Now get busy on yours!

Back