omg wow

wannabfast

Thai with a 78 in MN
so i did the oil change on my x today to get it ready for another season of spirited driving, and i noticed the alternator belt seemed to have some slack, so i push it and i notice that the alternator doesnt seem to be very secured, the pulley side where the long bolt goes has cracked and no longer can be tightened, the wire side bracket seems to have worked some nuts loose or something cause its no longer attached to the alternator.. so im gonna go order a new one, or see if someone wants to make me some brackets for a gm alternator... ive tried to grind down the stock piece per diy on the old site, but i could never get the stupid pulley square so it ended up ripping belts left and right

got the alternator out last night, pretty simple matter, unbolt from teh top and falls down and slides out

to recap, the alternator was held in place by the locking bolt, which was in the slotted bracket, and by the v-belt...

heres the aftermath
26107_1403734212928_1219530682_1153815_4975915_n.jpg

this extra bracket is bolted on to the end of the back of the housing via 2 bolts, which seem to have disappeared, which may have contributed to the bracket shearing off
26107_1403734252929_1219530682_1153816_4683680_n.jpg

that's rough.... sorry to see....

If you're still interested in the GM swap, what do you have left as far as the bracket to the block? The long bolt should keep the alt straight, maybe you can just use washers as spacers to line up the pulleys?

I used a cutting wheel on a 4.5" grinder...

If you're still interested in the GM swap, what do you have left as far as the bracket to the block? The long bolt should keep the alt straight, maybe you can just use washers as spacers to line up the pulleys?

I used a cutting wheel on a 4.5" grinder...
well i had the gm alternator in at one point, it wasnt a matter of washers and spacers, quite simply the alternator pulley wasnt square because the part i ground down on the bracket wasnt square and it was burning through belts

Back