One job leads to another. Nightmare

chumley

Daily Driver
Few weeks ago I decided to try to fit a abarth 500 silencer I was hoping to use the four pipes but couldn't make it work anyway after some cutting and welding managed to have a twin exit coming out where rear grill is sounds great so I went on a test drive. It was getting dark so put on headlights don't usually go out much at night did not realise just how poor the lights were could hardly see. Anyway decided I should do something so after some research thought I would clean all earth's check connections and do brown wire mod and headlamp mod . Started looking and found headlamps weren't great so ordered two plus fitted better bulbs .when checking connection under steering column found my brake master was leaking so had to move steering column and pedal box went ok . Thought may as well do clutch at same time so changed both, hoses and reservoirs weren't great so changed those as well all went back in ok luckily fittings were ok .Moved on too bleeding everything hoses didn't look great on brakes so more work and money tried to loosen nipples snapped off one in rear caliper and one in front caliper . Tried an easy out and drilling out but no joy so bit the bullet and ordered one new and one second hand and rebuild kit , fitted new calipers and new nipples and hoses plus new rear pads . Luckily everything bled ok and brakes and clutch are now working great. I hadn't checked lights yet so connected battery and raised headlights to find one of my brand new headlamps was cracked 😭 so had to use one of the old ones for now but I do now have nice bright lights now . So because of changing my exhaust and a test drive in the dark I ended up spending a fortune and doing a load more work I was really peed off at the time but glad I found the brakes something I don't scrimp on . The joys of classic motoring

Those are all Wins in my book! Refurbed braking and clutch hydraulics (typically very neglected even by enthusiasts) and upgraded electrical and lighting systems!

But you never told us if you liked the exhaust mods!!!! :D

Really happy with exhaust not really had a chance to give it a good run yet but sounds great I tried it cause I managed to get hold of a good second hand one I know someone who works at abarth I'll take some pics and a video when I get chance.

Heres one after painting

Attachments

• IMG_20231216_105614.jpg
    IMG_20231216_105614.jpg
    310.1 KB · Views: 52
It's better to have a lovely sound than a loud one in my opinion, the exhaust looks very good. We can complain how much we want about the work we do, but still we like it very much. I can't imagine of a better weekend than the spend in the garage with my car.

I have a similar setup on my car with Uno Turbo. My car is very loud. What about yours?
View attachment 82649
That is interesting that your car is loud. On my uno turbo, I run a straight pipe out from the turbo, and it is actually pretty quiet, so much so that I never bothered to put a muffler on it. I call it my "rotary" muffler. I have found sometimes a muffler has the opposite effect, and can make things quite loud. By the way, that is a very clean looking underbody on the car there! Looks great!

It's better to have a lovely sound than a loud one in my opinion, the exhaust looks very good. We can complain how much we want about the work we do, but still we like it very much. I can't imagine of a better weekend than the spend in the garage with my car.
Yes your right I've been messing with cars since I was a boy it my passion what i love is putting everything back together after a resto 😊

That is interesting that your car is loud. On my uno turbo, I run a straight pipe out from the turbo, and it is actually pretty quiet, so much so that I never bothered to put a muffler on it. I call it my "rotary" muffler. I have found sometimes a muffler has the opposite effect, and can make things quite loud. By the way, that is a very clean looking underbody on the car there! Looks great!
Maybe my turbo is bigger (14T) and I have a "turbo muffler" that is pretty much straight and 3-inch piping. The noise doesn't disturb me much except when going far at 3.5-4k rpm. Today I bought JBL over-ear noise-canceling headphones that I hope will help.

Back