Opinions needed on spoiler...

BrettM

1981 RHD X1/9
I have this spoiler of unknown origin and I am considering it for my X. I really like the Lido/Corsa style spoiler but cannot find one in the US.

What do you guys think about this? It is currently taped on so it has not been fitted permanently.
IMG_0398.JPG
IMG_0398.JPG

I have no idea what this is from. I bought it from ebay and it said it would fit an X. I took a chance but have not idea who made it. It is made from some kind of ABS plastic, not fiberglass.

Special Series

It looks like the spoiler from the '77 - '78 special series (Serie Speciale) sold in Europe and Australia. It is made of rubber but can still break as it is quite low at the centre point. You can get a fibreglass reproduction but this isn't a good idea as these really do break.

x19_media_AutoExpress_May1977_No118_Backpage.gif

Brett, you almost can't tell the difference...

If you said nothing about it, I wouldn't have noticed.

Looks like it belongs, IMHO :woot:

Frankly Brett... I'd be more...

... concerned if:

1. It functioned properly and ducted the air up and through the radiator and then...

2. Whether or not YOU like it. Who cares about someone else's "opinion".

As for me... it "appears" it would function properly, only a test drive and recording operating temps would tell for sure. Remove it completely for a comparison and if you have a stocker, install it also for a trial.

As for my "opinion", if it should matter, it looks "right" for the car... and I like it.

spoiler

Hello,

This seems to be the European X 1/9 1300 Serie Speciale spoiler as on pictures, still available in Europe

with kind regards,
Henk Martens
E-mail: martens.tuil*hetnet.nl

Maybe it's just the angle of the pic

but it looks a little large to me. It looks like your car has it's tongue hanging out.

Your car is such a beauty as it is. Maybe you need a second one to play with!! :)

Thanks...

I think the reason I wanted some opinions is that I was not really sold on the spoiler myself. I like the general look and really like the Lido style, but the factory small spoiler is so right. It is hard to improve on Bertone's original design. I think I will stay with the original.

I do like it, just not for my car I guess. I also have a FAZA spoiler that is larger than this one. Was temped to try it but it would require more fab work.

Too big

In my opinion. The original ones (like the ones in Henk's photo) would look much better and keep in sympathy with the design of the car, Cheers, Terry

Back