Opinions on this spoiler please...

X1/9Cruiser

True Classic
Well today I met up with a friend who drives a WRX. I managed to talk him in to unbolting his rear spoiler so that I could borrow it for a bit and throw it on the back of my car just to see how it looked. I like the look at certain angles but I think it's might be bit too over the top for the X.

Picture014.jpg

Picture018-1.jpg

Picture013.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Like native look

Cruiser,
your X is amazing but I prefer a car look like a slipper and I don't think the spoiler will make a big difference on the aerodynamic.
My preference will be no rear spoiler... I like the native look of the X .
Sincerely
Yves

MY vote is...

NO spoiler. Your car looks great with out it. Adding it won't improve the looks or help the handling.

I don't feel the forms of the wing are in character with the car. The only spoiler I personally feel is appropriate to the form is the ducktail which is period correct for the time of introduction and use on the Abarth cars.

I never liked the late model production wing as it really does nothing aerodynamically and looks like it came off of a GM car (the F body?)

Unlike many cars the X doesn't collect much dirt or other detritus which suggests there really isn't much of a air pocket the wing might help with. In addition, having driven an X for extended periods at its maximum speed I never sensed the rear needed any additional down force nor a reduction in lift at the rear. If you have a K20 under the lid of that exquisite car, you may get to a velocity where the back loses some of its composure, I don't know.

If you must have one, I would go with either something like the duck tail or the late model factory spoiler. That particular example looks like a modern piece of design and looks out of place on a crisply designed car versus the rather doughy Subie this came off of.

I think....

you have it too far forward on the trunk. Move it back a bit and see what it looks like.

I think it looks pretty good actually.

I have a WRX front hood vent on the roof of my race car for venting!

Eric

Looks a bit too MR2. But then, I don't really care for add-ons for the X which have no practical purpose. The X needs a rear spoiler like Pam Anderson needs a third boob.

John O.

I like it

But my tastes are not always in line with other X owners here on the site. Granted it probably wouldn't provide any function, but I think it would add to the look of the car very nicely.

Last edited:
I like it

It certainly is different, but I don't think it "wrong" for the car. I do agree with the post that it is a little too far forward though.

Actually I could find a very good use for Pamela Anderson's third boob...

Another opinion...

I think it's not quite the correct style. What I mean is the X body is very angular, and that spoiler is to curved, too soft. The stock Bertone spoiler on my car has the same problem.

Also, yes, it needs to be set back farther.

BTW, images will show in your post if you use "img" and "/img" on each end of the link. Another option is to use the little tool at the top of the post creation box. If you prefer to just have the links rather than the actual pics, I can change it back.

thanks guys for your opinions

Interesting how opinions vary. Well I'm not going to go with this spoiler. It was close but it's IMO just not quite right. Actually I'm looking for something a little more subtle. I thought about the rat tail spoiler for my car, right idea but it's too tall for me. something about half the height and width and I'd go for it. Anyway, the hunt goes on. The spoiler on the S2000 might look okay but I think the S2K's deck lid is more curved than the X's so it prob wouldn't fit without modifications. If anyone has any ideas i'm open to suggestions!:)

I like it...

A little. I also like the late model spoilers myself. It sets the cars apart some. I have always thought the rear of the cars looked like they are missing something. More so on the 1500's with the bigger engine covers. When you look at them from the side, you see a big step down. Not so much on the early cars with the smaller engine cover.

I really like the spoiler, however, I'm also open minded to not being a straight up purist on styles.

A taste thing, really. I think moving it back would work nicely with the dynamics and styling of the car..

Of course, the X 1/9 is amazing with or without the spoiler.. I particularly like the styling of that spoiler though.

If you like the spoiler, keep it. Take everyone's opinion with a grain of salt. :)

I like it but...

Like a few others I think it needs to slide back an inch or two...

I think it looks a 'little over the top' on a stock car. I think it would look more 'correct' on a car with some molded in PBS flares or something. On something like that, it would probably be an acceptable alternative to the Abarth style duck tail.

The last post by dallara87 is the most important part of the automotive hobby though. Thank goodness or we'd all be driving 69 Camaro's. (nothing against them, I used to have a Camaro, loved it!)

Back