Original Bertone blueprints

An interesting lot for sure - at the 2018 Bertone auction, similar mounted versions went for a combined price of over 20,000 euros, some 10-20 x more than the catalog estimates - the X1/9 was a comparative bargain against the Stratos:

Last edited:
"original factory technical master blueprints" what garbage. In no way are these as described. They may be actual Bertone drawings but they are not "master" anything nor are they even "technical". They are wall hangings.

There were two X1/9 blueprints from the Bolaffi auction.
I own one the other was still in Italy from the auction winner last I knew.
They were used to make the silkscreens.
Then a few years later one showed up on Etsy out of Switzerland with same description long-term ex-Bertone employee kept in their collection…

There were two X1/9 blueprints from the Bolaffi auction.
Was this the 2018 auction that had the acetates? I could only see the mounted prints in the catalog :confused:

Not wanting to dis' Etsy or the current auction items, but the provenance of the 'official' Bertone auction items would hopefully of commanded the higher price that holds for the future, unlike than something that has a reported "ex-employee" back story.

Last edited:
Was this the 2018 auction that had the acetates? I could only see the mounted prints in the catalog :confused:

Not wanting to dis' Etsy or the current auction items, but the provenance of the 'official' Bertone auction items would hopefully of commanded the higher price that holds for the future, unlike than something that has a reported "ex-employee" back story.
It was from the first auction a few months prior.
I actually have a Gandini sketch drawing. 😎

IMG_5946.jpeg

Last edited:
I'd forgot all about that one as the lots were pulled, or so I thought - I'd assumed they'd ended up with ASI at Volanda or somewhere. The online listing does seem to back this up, but clearly there was another set? Lot 16 would of been quite the catch 😎

I'd forgot all about that one as the lots were pulled, or so I thought - I'd assumed they'd ended up with ASI at Volanda or somewhere. The online listing does seem to back this up, but clearly there was another set? Lot 16 would of been quite the catch 😎

You can see an indent on the fabric that was hanging on the wall at Bertone on the silkscreen above the word b Bertone.
Lends credence that the blueprints were original and stored the same way to make that indent v impression.

Just a fun fact😎

IMG_5949.jpeg

IMG_5948.jpeg

Last edited:
OK. So, a "blueprint" is a copy from an original drawing on transparent film [laid out in pencil and finalised in ink]. That film drawing is printed via a contact optical process onto paper to make the copies needed by the various parts of a manufacturing company. The process makes a paper 1:1 copy that has blue lines on a near white [blueish] background = "blueprint" There is a very similar process [different chemicals] that make shades of grey. I have spent many hours making both types.

I actually have a Gandini sketch drawing. 😎

View attachment 78890
These images show how little regard the heirs of Bertone had for their legacy. A perfect example of how not to store drawings. There are two correct ways. The best is by means of self adhesive strips attached to an edge. That strip is semi-rigid and has slots that clip over suitable aluminium extrusions. This allows the drawing to hang. The othe method is in a plan press [as per photograph] but NEVER rolled. The very reason that plan press's exist and are shaped and sized as they are is specifically so that drawing can be stored FLAT. The hanging method is best for live drawings [drawings that are in use] as you can quickly flick through them to find the one you need. Added benefit of hanging is that the drawings only touch each other lightly. If you store them flat, you need to separate them with tracing paper or ink will transfer from the front of one to the back of the one above.

I gotta admit I'd like to own them... but the bid is up to 1345 euros and I've bought driveable X's for less than that.

Back