Original fuel injection - type

Gary oliver

Low Mileage
This is a question for knowledgeable USA Exxie afficionados. I am doing a timeline of Exxie changes to put in an Australian X1/9 brochure

I think from memory that there were two fuel injection systems on the USA exxies. The first I have only seen described just as fuel injection. The second is described in published material as Jetronic but that was what I thought Bosch called all theirs. So I am wondering what exactly was the first and second?

All help appreciated!

Warm regards/gary

My Bosch Fuel Injection book (Probst) says all were L-Jetronic w/Lambda, as were the 124 Spiders, Stradas and Bravas with FI; my 81 (built 1980) and my 86 (built 1985) had this system.

Last edited:
As far a I have seen, there was only one change in the USA (North American) market X1/9 fuel injection system in its run from 1980-ish thru to the end. From inception thru about 1983 or so, the FI system's control box did not have an additional provision for an altitude sensor (ambient barometric pressure). These boxes have a blue sticker. Around 1984, a barometric pressure sensor was added (attached to the control box bracket). The FI control boxes compatible with the baro pressure sensor have a gold sticker.

Reference this listing from Midwest-Bayless: https://www.midwest-bayless.com/Fia...unit-fiat-bertone-x19-1983-88-1980-83-u8.aspx

It's Bosch L-Jetronic all the way. The "L" is the designation for Air Flow Meter style.

"LH-Jetronic" (Hot Wire Air Mass Meter) came after, and was used from early '80s on higher end :)D) brands.

Agree with Dan and Hess; all one system with only a single minor design change added to the ECU. Bosch made other versions of the Jetronic system (D, K, KE, L, LE, LH, etc), as well as other (non-Jetronic) injection systems (CIS, Motronic, etc) for other applications, but not for the X.

Thanks everyone for putting me right! Really appreciate it. You have some fine looking Exxies over there! A pity Bertone did not refresh with the Dallara shape LookforJoe has and take Dallara engine advice. Who knows what might have been. Thanks again all

Warm regards/gary

ok, look out in a few hours, and I'll create a new post with X1/9 glovebox brochure in the heading, and request comments, suggestions, feedback

Back