Original Interior and Top colors

RocketMonkey101

Daily Driver
Anybody have any info on original interior and convertible top colors that were available for 850 Spiders? I want to do both in tan or some shade of brown but I don't know if that's original or not. I looked online but didn't find much.

Just my .02 but I would lean toward black for both. I may have seen a turquoise one with brown interior... Maybe but tops were Henry Ford in color selection. Any color you want as long as it is black! Stock would also be the cheapest plastic/vinyl stuff. The cloth tops came along after the 850s were out of production.
My dad painted an MG interior tan and it was lovely in a small roadster.
Regards

You bring up an interesting point. What's your opinion on the FIAT crowd in general being sticklers for original colors / equipment? I know there's a big segment of the VW community that's all about "keeping it stock"...

I think stock is nice... I am not interested in a 100 point car and many new improved products are available for our use and enjoyment.
My day job is designing and building furniture that was mass produced 60-100 years ago. The purist in this field are all about keeping it pure but there is not a huge market for smoking pipe racks and 100 years ago folks lived very different lives. I.E. there was very little above basic living stuff so I apply the old rules to new designs. Win win!
I do the same with my X... I intend to drive and enjoy it. My brand new 1980 had a lovely AM/FM Cassette but I don't own any cassettes and my old player lacks an aux jack, let alone a USB! Would not trade my digital media player for OEM or "period correct"
For me I try to stay clear of mods that are difficult or impossible to reverse but I will change/upgrade anything to make my ride more enjoyable.
Tops and interiors if tastefully done can be a vast improvement over stock. Your average folks have no idea what an 850 spider was let alone how it was outfitted from the manufacturer.
I say enjoy your car! IMO the tan interior and top really sets a roadster off.
Regards

Just to clarify my original post stated that I "leaned toward black" I did not mean to say I would choose or use black but that black would be most likely stock outfitting.
Regards

I don't recall ever seeing anything but black for the top or the interior.

That said, although some 850s are getting decently valuable they are few and far between. Concours in the real sense has not hit the Fiat side of things, yes there are 10 point cars at events in the Concours Italiano but they are rare. It's your car, make it yours. A concours oriented buyer would redo any work you did no matter how good a job you did on your car. So if I were you I wouldn't sweat it.

Do good work, use good materials, make it look good and others will appreciate it. Most of all make sure you get what you want, its your money, your car and your enjoyment of your hobby.

Glad to hear people are not stuck on the "keep it stock" front. I'm sure everyone will be different but hearing you guys say it helps me breath a little easier.

Anybody have any info on original interior and convertible top colors that were available for 850 Spiders? I want to do both in tan or some shade of brown but I don't know if that's original or not. I looked online but didn't find much.

According to my factory parts books, early Spiders had interiors available in black, red, ivory (tan/beige) or brown. My experience shows black as being used on a major portion of our cars, followed by red. Not many ivory or brown interiors made it to the USA.

Later Spiders had interiors of black, red or tan, with black interiors being the most common, then red & a few tan. The red or tan interiors sometimes had door panels with a black accent strip along the upper 1/5 edge.

Dashboards were always black for Spiders. Very early non-USA Spiders could have different dashboard & interior colors selected if the car was purchased directly from Carrozzeria Bertone - particularly on the 850 CL, which was pre-USA-importation & never offered here. For the 850 CL, the dash was usually black or tan, with a padded & hand-stitched covering (this dash was later used on the 850 Racer variants in black).

Convertible tops were normally black leather-grain vinyl from the factory (though again on the 850CL's it could be custom-ordered). Higher-quality canvas & alternate-color tops have been available in the aftermarket since the '70's (Amco, Haartz, etc.), for owners wishing to upgrade or customize their Spider.

I do have to say that (IMO), unless you're repainting your Lime Green car a different color, changing it to tan/brown would REALLY be an eyesore. (ie: keep it black) ;)

As Karl said/implied (or I inferred) most of these cars are not worth enough to worry about it. Do what YOU want. I have a tan cloth top, not because I couldn't find an original black vinyl one (because I have two :) ) but because it is a better quality top and I wanted a brown and yellow car. Sorry if that qualifies as an eyesore too :)

Again, make the car the way you want, and don't worry about resale. Have fun driving it!

Back