Paging bbrown re. auto dimming mirror

ng_randolph

Bjorn H
In this thread you show an auto dimming mirror installed in your x. It looks like it is mounted to the window frame like the stock mirror (not glued to the windshield). Where did you find this mirror? Did you have to do any custom bracketry to make it fit?

The one linked to in that thread is actually a generic wedge base (even though it says Bertone X1/9 fit) and is a bit large - interferes with the sun visors.

The mirror was custom made

I Where did you find this mirror? Did you have to do any custom bracketry to make it fit?

Yes, I started with a GM Auto-dimming compass mirror.
I also had an original X1/9 mirror I used for "dissection".
The mirror mount is from the original X1/9 mirror. The mirror-side of the X1/9 mirror mount was modified
to fit inside the GM Compass mirror, but it took a bit of crafting. I never wrote this up because
it required dis-assembly of the GM dimming compass mirror, and most folks would never take the chance.

You can't see it, but there's a wedge shaped plate under the base of the mount to give the mirror
a full and proper adjustable range. The plate is the same shape and color as the mount.

This mirror works GREAT and shows everything much clearer than the original. The original has a tendency to vibrate at certain speeds, but this one holds nice and steady.

I do have a couple extra auto dimming compass mirrors if you can't find one.

Thanks for asking and good luck with your build.

Thanks for the info.

I am looking at a few different mirrors but if nothing pans out, I'd be interested in one of your GM mirrors. How wide are they?

That's a great idea....

.... got pics of the install?

I'd be interested in one as well - certainly not afraid to 'hack' things up :D

Back