Paging Gregory Smith

htfx19

Herzel Frenkel
Hi Gregory
A while back you sugested the temp sensor on the stat housing should read 2500 - 3000 ohm cold and 250 - 300 hot.
I checked and got 1700 cold and 450 hot.
In your openion, is that good or bad?
Thanks

It's good Herzel

I'm not Greg but you've got it right. Hotter will lower the resistance and cause the needle to rise.

I think it's bad.

Actually Bob, this is for the F.I. computer, not the gauge. :wink2:

Herzel, the figures you are getting are out of spec. Your cold ohm reading is nearly half the resistance it should be, which would cause it to be lean when cold. And your hot ohm reading is nearly double the spec, meaning it will run rich at normal operating temp.

I'd replace it!:nod:

Thanks Bob and Gregory. So

I'll replace the sensor.
Now I stripped 2 bolts at the stat cover and I'll have to get them out.
While on the subject of bolts, could I possibly use a better material combination for bolts in aluminium casting in water system?
Stainless? brass? bronze? I get sick seeing those whitish blubs around the bolts.

I'll replace the sensor.
Now I stripped 2 bolts at the stat cover and I'll have to get them out.
While on the subject of bolts, could I possibly use a better material combination for bolts in aluminium casting in water system?
Stainless? brass? bronze? I get sick seeing those whitish blubs around the bolts.

I always put antisieze compound on any bolt that will be seeing a corrosive environment.

My mechanic buddies gave me this advice a while back:

Using an antiseize compound under potentially corrosive conditions is a good idea, but one does have to take into account the lubrication that such a compound will supply.

When reassembling and torquing fasteners coated with antiseize, especially when steel bolts are being threaded into aluminum (such as the aluminum head that receives the stat housing bolts), torque to about 80% of the specified value and try to "feel" for what's happening at the end of the socket wrench. If it feels good, hit the middle between the 80% value and the specced torque value. If it still feels good and if the hole receiving the fastener is plenty deep with lots of thread contact (say, 2x the diameter of the fastener), go up to full specced value.

Back