Paging the MegaSquirt Gods.

I think you have a 1500 pulley

Now that crank pulley is at something like 11:00 in order for it to line up with the timing cover mark it needs to be at something like 1:00

what is up with that?

The 1300 and 1500 crank pulleys are pretty much identical except for where the timing mark is. The 1500 motor has a metal pointer on the front of the block, at about 11:00, and the crank pulley timing mark is placed accordingly. The 1300 pulley has its timing mark at about 1:00, to line up with the plastic tabs on the timing belt cover.

Find TDC through the spark plug hole, then mark the crank pulley where it lines up with your timing marks, and you're good to go.

Timing Cover Mark?

A 1500 gets timed just about where yours is when at TDC to about the 11:00 position. There should be a sheet metal timing pointer that bolts to the front engine cover plate like in Tony's picture. So far, it looks pretty close, you've just got to degree in your cam.
Dave

well that makes all sorts of sense then. I didn't realize that tha 1500 had a differnt clock position on the crank. This is my first 1500 I've ever owned (all others were 1300's)and I don't recall there ever being a "pointer" mounted on the block(I'll look around though). but I did take it apart in like 2006 and took about a year to rebuild and has just been sitting ever since. Alright! That answers my question about the crank pully mark then. The crappy Haynes manual says nothing about this and that is all I have for a service manual.
I'm going to mess around with adjusting the cam tonight I think. I remember using a degree wheel to bring the cam back into time since my cyl head is shaved like nuts (about .060") there is no flycut in the head anymore. I'll recheck this and see where I end up.

Alright guys... here's the update :)

a buddy of mine came over tonight and we went through the entire find TDC on the crank, then verify the cam, then check dizzy. We found out that I am very good at setting timing properly.... lol
But the strange thing.... cranking over with my ignition fired up but no injection we still couldn't find any of our marks (with timing light when cranking)to see where the ignition timing was and still wouldn't really run to save it's life. and then a recent thread poped into my head and I figured what the heck I'll try it. http://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/7612/ I swapped the dizzy pickup coil wire polarity and oooo la la! I had the timing light showing 10deg advance on our timing light just like I had stabbed the dizzy. put the fuses back in for the ecu and injection and it started up and ran like a pussy cat on steroids needing minimal throttle baby sitting to keep it going..... it also doe not kick the laptop off line anymore and we can actually start playing around with the tuning map!

So all this.... because the polarity of the dizzy pick-up coil was backwards going to my ignition module and was literaly screwing up my ignition timing and making the car run like crap.

WOW!:huh2:

Last edited by a moderator:
Matthew... would you be willing...

... to PROVE your point by reversing the connector once again, and causing the failure?

There is a slight possibility it was a faulty connection... reversing the polarity once again would eliminate that.

And... do I understand you are using a STOCK ignition?

If you would... then both Mr. Brown and I can readjust our thinking...

Thanks...

It's part of the various...

This is my first 1500 I've ever owned (all others were 1300's)and I don't recall there ever being a "pointer" mounted on the block.

It's part of the various pieces of sheet metal that form the belt guards and mounting for the timing belt cover, so it often gets taken off and not put back.

Because the 1500 pointer fits right next to the pulley, it's generally a bit easier to line it up exactly with the timing marks; the 1300 style gives you a few degrees of slop according to how you hold your head as you stare down alongside the belt cover. However, the mounting holes for the 1500 pointer on are oversized so that its position can be adjusted... which means that you can't trust it if you didn't install it yourself or at have at least checked it against piston position through a spark plug hole. On the 1500 that I just finished building, I did the crank pulley and the pointer before I put the head on, so I could be sure that I was getting TDC spot on.

That might be the best description...

like a pussy cat on steroids

That might be the best description of a happy FIAT SOHC engine I've ever read :thumbsup:

... to PROVE your point by reversing the connector once again, and causing the failure?

There is a slight possibility it was a faulty connection... reversing the polarity once again would eliminate that.

And... do I understand you are using a STOCK ignition?

If you would... then both Mr. Brown and I can readjust our thinking...

Thanks...

Tony,
the only part of my ignition system that's stock is the pointless dizzy. I have the stock dizzy running a GM 4-pin style ignition module which drives a MSD Blaster coil. The GM style ignition module from what I've learned last night clips the negative slope off the signal and only responds to the posative slope of the sign wave. Which explains why my timing was so wacky and I had to advance the timing like 30deg to even get it to run. I do not know how the stock Bosch unit responds.
And so now I have to find it humurous that I was questioning every step of the timing process because I knew the timing seamed off just somehow. I knew the cam couldn't be that radical and I knew the megasquirt could not be that wacked out. But it all comes down to having two wires backwards. LOL! My wife was starting to worry about me cause I was so out of it.... it was just driving me nuts.... and in turn driving her nuts. lol

Thanks guys for all you're support as of right now..... I'm taking it easy today. Have to work this next week and maybe I'll get back to it in the next couple of days in the evenings. Now I have all the tuning to mess with and now back to the real topic.... MegaSquirt!

Matt... tell your wife NOT to worry...

... and I can confirm unequivicably that you are indeed NUTZ!

(Takes one to know one... and I've been on both sides of the couch...)

BTW... she shoulda known you were crazy from the minute you looked TWICE at the car.... and you were HER choice also! I get all this stuff from 43 years of a BLISSFULL and HAPPY marriage... my wife tells me...

HA!

Hey... thanks for the info, and now we know. I'll have Bob reverse his leads one day and then we'll know for sure when it comes to a stock Bosch unit... just in case.

Back