pain in the back

jvandyke

True Classic
Anyone have trouble with lower back pain from X driving? I've had consistent lower back pain and can't figure out why. Been putting about an hour a day driving time and that's only 40 minutes and 20 minute stretches. Seat feels fine when sitting...just wondering.

Funny, I have a pain in my head

but that's from driving my X back from Asheville and having my head banging against the roll bar every time I went over big bumps! (I'm 6'3" and I just barely fit)
Dave

I shoved my shoe behind me as a support on the way home and I really think it helped so I'll hunt down something like that to try tomorrow. I thought for a while it WAS from contortions during wrenching but I haven't wrenched on it in weeks! I bet it's a lumbar thing. This seat is tired and needs help anyway, maybe renew padding and add some support (back?) in the lumbar area.

I had that problem

In my 78. It really bugged me. My plan was to get a couple Sparco Seats with the lumbar pad/pillow. That fell short when it got totaled. My 76 I was ok, and my 82, the seats were good, but it was too much of a pain squeezing in and out so out cam the stock seats, in went aftermarket seats from Shucks, a smaller steering wheel and increasing the height of the steering column. No back issues with those mods for me.

HAHAHA... Sorry... and sorry for your pain...

Most X's give us all a pain in the lower, lower back... usually stated as a P.I.T.A.

Mark and his wallet issue can be stated FIGURATIVELY also...

On a serious note... I have suffered with back pain all my life (62 years) and have "done it all", less surgery. My issue is inflamation that causes a nerve to pull a muscle and tweek me like a pretzel. I've been ambulanced twice in 25 years to the hospital and only as of late have they found a DRUG outside of morphine that worked. Morphine only masked the pain... Celebrex is a prescription anti-inflammatory that is used primarily for Arthritis... but it also is the ONLY thing that works for me, and it goes after the CAUSE.

I mention this only because most doctors even would not consider using this med for this issue. If this be your case... well, now ya know.

HTH....

The Back Doctor

[ame="http://www.amazon.ca/Consultation-Back-Doctor-Hamilton-Hall/dp/0771037791/ref=pd_sim_b_1"]A Consultation With the Back Doctor: Amazon.ca: Hamilton Hall: Books[/ame]

Buy this book, read it, follow Dr Halls program, and say bye bye to back pain.

If your car is like many where the driver's seat is toast yet the passenger seat looks or at least feels great from much less use, try swapping the seats from side to side. The downside (IIRC from someone's post a couple of years ago) is that the backrest adjuster release is jammed in close to the center tunnel, and you lose a couple of inches of seat travel because the indentations for the seat belt reels is now on the wrong side.

A more involved approach, if you don't mind the hassle and are willing to risk tearing the old seat skins, you might want to look into the possibility of swapping the seat foams from side to side. Not saying it will work, just sayin' it's a possibility....

Then of course there's the option to have a local auto upholsterer make you some new seat foams to match the skins.

The seam in the driver's seat has given up, the seam that always "seems" bad. I was planning on taking the seat out and apart and getting a shop to hopefully patch it up, I can put new padding in then, maybe stuff as much in the lumbar area as it will take (although I hate to disturb it as the seat back is in great shape, its the butt part that needs help) and see how it goes. Used a rolled up beach towel today (as Denise suggested) and it "seems" (there's that pun again) a ton better. About 35 miles and got out of the car with a lot less pain then I normally do after a 12 mile run.

12 miles Jeff... I drive more than that for a quart of milk...

HA!

One other option is to get another passenger seat and steal the foam (and even the upholstery, maybe) from that and rebuild your driver's seat.

Most GOOD reupholstery will sometimes cost MORE than buying new or better used seats... and as you have seen and heard here, there are many options available to ya.

Last edited:
It seams (sic) most slightly tired X seats have that center seam go bad. In my case the stitching tore out of the "fabric", the place where stitches go is wrecked so it would either need to be reinforced from below or the whole panel redone. I would be likely to try to use appropriate glue and try to glue the seam and a reinforcement patch from below. But I can't figure out how the seats remove, I don't see the bolts referenced in other threads but I haven't given it my full attention yet either. Just now I realized the skin on the seat back lumbar area can be pulled away at the bottom edge. Maybe I can slip some more padding up in there.

No bolts in an 81

But I can't figure out how the seats remove, I don't see the bolts referenced in other threads but I haven't given it my full attention yet either.

Jeff,

The bolted in seat rails did not appear until about 1983 when Bertone took over from Fiat. The seats in your 81 are riding on rails that are spot welded to the floor. The seats should slide off the front of the rails. Just pull the adjuster handle and force the seat forward till it comes off the rails.

Things to watch for:
1. There may be a spring under the seat that is connected to the floor that will prevent the seat from coming off. It that spring is still intact, unhook it.
2. Check the tracks for loose objects (coins, etc) that may have fallen down in there over the years. Anything in the track will obviously make the task more difficult.

Thanks for removal tips.
Springs are still there.
Update on back:
X may not be the culprit, going in to see the Doc. ruptured disc suspected as pain is constant and annoying.
The motorcycle trip across the state this past weekend didn't help, not sure it hurt either for that matter, while it sure as heck HURT but not much worse then sitt'n around.

Hope your trip to the doc is fruitful! Nothing worse than back pain! I go to the chiropractor on a fairly regular basis when I'm doing work on the cars...

I'm 19 and my X's seats bother my lower back too. I'm also just over 6ft and the seats feel like they're made for people in the mid 5ft range and down. The passenger seat definitely feels better but I still feel some pain there after some driving. It definitely will not stop me from driving the car...

I'm not sure the X is my problem at all but I did stuff more padding in the lumbar area (no dismantling of seat required) which helped. I'm 5'10" and am pretty comfortable in it. I can see how taller folks wouldn't be though. I'm out of the country for 2 weeks so not driving the X, will see if that helps my back out at all.

Back