Paris in a 275 GTB

Black-Tooth

Tony Natoli
This was sent to me by a friend and I have no idea if it is true... but I sure enjoyed the 9 minute video... By about 4 minutes I was ducking and leaning into the turns...

Hope you all enjoy it as well...

Tony

PARIS IN A 275 GTB

On an August morning in 1978, French filmmaker Claude Lelouch mounted a gyro-stabilized camera to the bumper of a Ferrari 275 GTB and had a friend, a professional Formula 1 racer, drive at breakneck speed through the heart of Paris early in the morning . The film was limited for technical reasons to 10 minutes; the course was from Porte Dauphine , through the Louvre, to the Basilica of Sacre Coeur.

No streets were closed, for Lelouch was unable to obtain a permit.

The driver completed the course in about 9 minutes, reaching nearly 140 MPH in some stretches. The footage reveals him running real red lights, nearly hitting real pedestrians, and driving the wrong way up real one-way streets.

Upon showing the film in public for the first time, Lelouch was arrested. He has never revealed the identity of the driver, and the film went underground. If you haven't seen this before, it is a classic, if you have seen it I apologize, but it's still a classic. Turn on your sound and enjoy...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqHrCLt3Geo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqHrCLt3Geo[/ame]

Thanks ///Mike...

... and once again... never is there any consistency and always another view, or "take", as it were...

But a friggin' 3 speed automatic Merc???

Next thing ya know they'll be sayin' there ain't no Santy Claws...

But a friggin' 3 speed automatic Merc???

Next thing ya know they'll be sayin' there ain't no Santy Claws...

Tony,

Look up the specs of the 6.9-- especially the torque output. This was *not* a taxi cab-- it, and its predecessor, the 6.3, were true factory hot-rods that happened to seat 4-5.

Certainly not sports cars, but quite capable. I'm a huge fan of F-brand Italian sports cars, as well as AMG cars. You'd be amazed at the number of people who own both. Once you're used to F-brand goodness, you want something similar when you have to haul more than one other person. AMG cars deliver in spades-- the 6.3 and 6.9 were factory forerunners to the current crop of MB hotrods (built prior to MB buying AMG).

Oh, and there is too a Sandy Claws-- next Christmas he's bringing me a CLS63 and a Scuderia. ;-)

///Mike

I just gotta say more...

I tried to view it again without sound and just couldn't stand it... so I dunno, but when I listen to the echos off the buildings and the car appears to jerk between shifts and when it looses traction and all and I conclude that...

Either the sound editing WAS suberb or it really was a shifted car.

Secondly... the women... starting with the one at the end... I guess she could have heard the car coming and then ran up as it approached... but definately in any case she was part of the PLANNED activity. The woman prior to her where the car makes a right BEHIND her as she was crossing... I figure she woulda heard or saw the car and would moved a bit faster or panicked...

I believe the next pedestrian prior did run across the street but the woman near the trash truck I think would have reacted more than she did, as she appeared to CALMLY step back... like she knew there'd be enough clearance.

IN ANY CASE... I still jerked and swayed in my chair after viewing it 3 or 4 times, the last time with it expanded LARGE and with all the lights out!

I know I should be morally outraged also... but what a kick, God I feel guilty! Glad no one was hurt.

I've watched it dozens of times with folks far more knowledgeable than me in film/sound editing and we all agree it sounds d*mned real.

That said, I've always thought there was more going on than just strappin' a camera to the hood of a Ferrari (which was the first story I heard years ago).

Whatever the truth, it's exhilarating to watch. And to listen to...

///Mike

I always thought it was a Ferrari as well. Apparently not: http://www.axe-net.be/rdv/presentation.php
No matter though, it's not about a particular car as much as good driving and sticking it to "the man".
The sound, while very appealing over all, had a couple of fake sounding moments. First some tire squeal that seemed to appear too early in a turn (at the Arc de Triomphe roundabout?), and at one time the engine noise sounded like it was at both high and low revs at the same time.
Sometimes I got the feeling that the engine noise sounded a lot faster than the car was actually going, for instance when catching up with other (presumably very slow-going by comparison) traffic.

BTW, the video was banned "in your region" by Youtube... so I found it here: http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4232026/Claude_Lelouch_-_C_etait_un_rendez-vous

Hmmm....

Despite having had a couple of French G/Fs, my grasp of the language does me little good here. But from what I can gather there is at least some support for the Wiki account.

It's been a while since I've watched the film but the thing that had me wondering was the sheer number of shifts. I've never driven either version of the 275 GTB but I've driven quite a few F-cars and most of them were pretty flexible, even though they do love revs. My recollection of "Rendezvous" is that the sound track indicated more shifting than I would have expected.

But maybe I shouldn't have said anything though. Just like finding out that the actors in the background of the final scene of Casablanca were little people, and that the plane was made of cardboard-- it kinda takes away from the mystique.

When I watch Rendezvous I tend to leave my left brain out of it and enjoy the show, even though I figure that the truth varies a great deal from what is portrayed. Then again, isn't that pretty much the rule these days?

///Mike

Real identity of 'Claude Lalouche'

It's Roman Polanski - he was friends with Jackie Stewart when Jackie was at the top of F-1; Roman wore an old driver's suit and helmet of Jackie's when he went to the Jim Russell school. Always heard that the car's a Ferrari..........

SHAME ON ALL OF US... for enjoying this flick...

HA!

Roman Polanski huh... Jackie Stewart... Ya sure that its not Tony Stewart???

HA! Nah... in 1976 or 1978 he woulda been too young!!!

No way....

It wasn't Roman Polanski or Jackie Stewart, or Tony Stewart.

The guy who mounted the camera and made the film was named Claude Leloach, made in 1976. He was not a professional driver, he was a filmmaker. It's likely that he actually drove the car, or possibly had someone drive it for him, no one seems to know, but it wouldn't have been some famous driver. There has been extensive analysis done by a guy at MIT matching the rpms of the engines with the GPS derived distances, the fastest calculated speed of the entire 490 second film was 76 mph. It's not near the crazy, out of control thing it appears to be. The route was well calculated, just as the camera was carefully mounted, or more specifically "gyro-stabilized." It was a very skillfully made film.

The 275 GTB was a fantastic car by any standard. "GTB" - Gran Tourismo Berlinetta in Ferrari speak, with a front mounted 3285 cc 12 cylinder producing 280 horsepower. The design is an all time classic by Pininfarina and actually built by the Scaglietti. Good examples of these cars run 400K and up, over a mil for actual racing examples.

If you ever wondered what cars influenced the design of the Datsun 240/280 series.....this is certainly one of them at least to me.

275GTB_2.jpg

275_1.jpg

Soooo... then... What yur sayin' is...

... there is NO Santy Claws?

Geez... what a spoil-sport!

HA!

(Yeah... after seein' it for the 50th time I haveta agree... It's amazing what sound can do to your perception... just like many TV show stunts are done at 3 mph and ya think they're doin' 90!)

Well..

My sources could be wrong too!! Several places say it was filmed in August 1978. I've also read that when the authorities saw it they arrested Lelouch, but who knows.

Santa Claus is safe.

I'd love to have a 275 GTB.

Heres the remake... lol

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qglJB75QXkg"]YouTube - Porsche 911 Turbo Police Chase[/ame]

Rendezvous & Google maps

Over at Mirafiori, there used to be a really cool site that linked the Rendezvous video with Google maps so you could see where he was driving... The link appears to be broken now :sigh:

Another twist in the story.....!!! Interview with Lelouch.

http://www.themotoringenthusiast.com/rendezvous

Behind the Scenes of Lelouch’s Rendezvous

French film director Claude Lelouch’s nine-minute film Rendezvous is a legend among car enthusiasts. The legend has it that one very early morning in August of 1976, he affixed a then new gyroscopically stabilized 8mm camera to the front of his Ferrari 275 and tore through Paris at high speed without stopping, running several red lights in the process. He was reportedly arrested when it was first publicly shown, and rumours were rampant about who had been driving (including the possibility of Formula 1 drivers). The soundtrack is the awesome Ferrari V12 sound, but years later, he finally confirmed that the film had actually been made with a Mercedes 450 SEL 6.9 with Lelouch himself driving and two other people in the car, and the Ferrari soundtrack added later. Below you’ll find the original film, in addition to a behind the scenes interview and retracing of the route with Leloouch thirty years later in 2006. It is in French, but we have translated the good bits below.

Wednesday 24 May 2006:
And I got out like this, and I left running like this…and it happened here.

“Do you know it [the car]?”

“Of course, it’s the same.”

“And we had the camera here, and we had a small remote control that allowed us to control the cover, and an aperture that allowed a depth of 4 or 5 meters. And so there were three of us in the car, belted in.”
“It was the same color, I was driving. (after he gets in the car) It’s not out of fashion at all.”

(As he accelerates out of the tunnel) “We attacked very strongly here… and here a little bit of braking… there are no brakes (lamenting one of the shortcomings of the 6.9, that its brakes aren’t up to the rest of the car’s performance) here I got on it quite strongly and we climbed to 200 (kph), ordinarily, but we won’t go there today. (interviewer quickly replies: “no no, it’s fine…I’ve seen the film several times”)

“so the fact that it happened very early in the morning, that also is a part of your personality/character, the true Lelouch, who wakes up every morning at 5 o’clock”

“ yes, you have the feeling that the world belongs to you”

“So we just decided to do it”

“really, there was no premeditation?”

“no, none at all! I said to them, listen, we’re going to do this. So there were the three of us in the car, and I told them there would be only one take, and it would either work or not work. I was ready in cases of extreme danger, I would not have hesitated between life and a film—a film is only a film.”

“And here we passed…oh at about 160 (kph), and I felt that the car was at the limit here.

“So we have to dispel the mystery that surrounds this film: who drove the car? There is talk of Jackie Ickx , Jean-Pierre Beltoise, Jacques Lafitte…”

“No no!”

“So it was you?”

“Yes”

“So why not a professional driver? You took considerable risks…”

“Well above all it was because it was decided at the very last moment, and moreover because I wanted to do it myself…the interest of the film was to drive.”

“So here I had put a measure of protection: because here I didn’t have any visibility and there was traffic coming from the right and the left, …so I had someone here with a walkie talkie, and I said “if there is a problem when you see me arriving, and you feel that I cannot pass, then warn me.” And he didn’t warn me, but afterwards, he told me that the walkie talkie wasn’t working!”

“So why did you take a Mercedes instead of a sports car which might have been more adapted to this type of exercise”

“Uniquely because of the suspension. It has a hydropneumatic suspension, and it was absolutely necessary that the image be smooth.”

“So here you encountered…”

“Yes, there was a red light, and cars that were blocking, so I had to do something like this (as he crosses the center line)…”
[reporter voices concern]

“Don’t worry, I’m looking…so, I went like this. It was absolutely necessary not to stop because the principle of the film was not to stop.”

“So what did you do for the soundtrack?”

“I redid the route with the Ferrari.”

“Is it true that the original title was to be “red light”?”

“no, it was always “it was a rendezvous”, because, it is a film that tells a story. If there hadn’t been the man who gets out of the car (which was me) and meets the woman, the film wouldn’t have made any sense. It would have been a gratuitous act. What is hard in movies is to tell something, to have a point of view. A man who is going to a rendezvous is able to take pointless risks because he doesn’t want to make the person wait…”

“And you are never late”

“It’s a sickness with me, I’m always early”

“So here there was a truck in the midst of unloading something. I went like this and I saw, so then I went like this…and look, it’s still there, it’s crazy! So I sought to go around. And I had the same light. So here I laid it on very strongly because it was absolutely necessary to catch up the lost time. I was scared, scared of the danger. And I took this one way street, and here, I was already very very happy, and I prayed that there would not be a car that would block me. Because the film could have ended here, here there was no other possibility. So we have good luck, and here it was a one way, and it still is. And from here I didn’t honk any more because that was the cue for the woman who was waiting. And we arrived here and crossed over to here. And there was the same light. The same light. And I went over here and then here I honked, and I got out like this, and I left running like this…and it happened here.”

How many gears does a Ferrari have anyhow

Excuse my ignorance...It seems he's been shifting endlessly.

Back