Parting out my red '77

cbinsfeld

Low Mileage
I have no luck with the title and am at wit's end, so I guess it is time to help save other X1/9s and sacrifice this one.

Let me know what you need and make an offer. I don't plan on ripping it apart and selling it bolt-by-bolt on ebay. Car is 99% rust free, engine turns over but needs clutch work, otherwise everything else works and as of May 12, the car is complete. Ultimately, I want to have hooked as many people up as possible and have the remains to be taken to the scrap yard by June 30.

I hope I can help some of you!

sorry to hear that

I could use the front air dam, right side dash panel opposite side of the instrument cluster and the center console.

Not knowing the story behind the title, I hve a couple of suggestions that may work.

Most states have a mechanics lien law. With a friend who owns a mechanical shop, a letter can usually be sent to any owner of record to "claim" the car. No claim and the shop can get a clear title.

Usually towing companies have a similar statute.

Hate to see an X get parted out because of no title.

Heater control knobs

If you have any heater control knobs, I'd like them.

They are the plastic end piece that you grab to turn on the fan, control the heat/cool air, etc.

Oops, I think your car year has different knobs than my year (87). If so, disregard.

Cheers,
Larry

Here in California all you would need is a Bill of sale, a statement of facts signed by the Previous owner as to the lost title and an application for a duplicate title... And they will mail you a new one if you pay the fees. If its coming from another state, just having that and the original plate from the car would be suficient... Hope that helps... JJ

No title needed in NH if

the car is over 15 years old.
All that is needed is a bill of sale from the previous owner.

Maybe you should try and sell the car first, with stipulation that the title is not available but a bill of sale is.

Where did you get the car?

If you do decide to part it, I'm interested in the X1/9 badge on the rear trunk and the center console if it's
in good shape.

Just went through this with my 74 in CA.

Jumped though all the hoops, but it wasn't that bad. And if I can do it, you can. I can't imagine any other state being as difficult as CA.

Look up rules for titling an abandoned vehicle in your state. Get a pretty good idea of what you need to do BEFORE going to the DMV.

Then just go to the DMV and ask bunch of questions and don't leave until they give you answers. Ask to talk to supervisor if you need to. Be VERY nice and enthusiastic about it. Be charming and make them WANT to help you, but be firm. Chances are, based on your research, you'll already know more than the workers, and possibly as much as the supervisor. You want to gently and inconspicuously "guide" them into giving you the right answers and materials.

Don't tell them you bought it, just tell them it's been abandoned on you property for years, and you've always thought about restoring it, and you want to know what you have to do.

I'm sure there's a way.

Here's what I had to do in CA:

1) Had to run a title check. Something like $12 through the DMV. Waited a few weeks for it to come back declared "No Title on Record" with an official stamp. This is to give the PO a chance to reclaim the car if he/she is out there somewhere. If anyone pops up in the database, the DMV sends them a notice. Highly unlikely anyone will come up, especially if the car has been sitting somewhere for years. If you bought it from someone, let them know your doing it, so they know not to interfere. Unlikely also, that someone who sold you the car is going to show up, interfere, or cause you trouble, unless they're a complete jerk.

2) Then you can declare it an abandoned vehicle on your property and you have to do a lien sale. Have to post a "public" notice of the auction with a specific date and time with something like a 40 day window for people to "see" and consider the auction. I posted mine on my front door, which is entirely legal. :) Just has to be "visible" from a public area (the street). When no one shows up to buy the car on the day and hour of the auction you can officially "bid" and "win" it for whatever price you set. You end up paying no taxes, because the state allows you to offset any sales taxes from your purchase with "storage" fees you would have charged the PO for leaving on your property.

3) Then you have to have it inspected/validated at the DMV or through the CHP. They do it for free. But if the car is non-op, and you don't want to trailer it there, you can pay a private licensed service to come to your house and do it. I paid $60. They check to make sure the car is whole. Helps if the stickers and tags are still there, but they'll usually do it anyway as long as the VIN plate is there, and the car is whole.

4) THEN you can register and apply for a title.

The whole thing is pretty easy. The hardest part is you have to study up a bit (Google, forums, your state's DMV website and vehicle codes are you best friends for while), and you have to learn your way around some confusing, redundant forms. And the whole process takes a couple of months waiting between steps. But in the end, it's doable, and I thought worth it.

And ultimately satisfying, cause now the car is mine free and clear, titled in my name, and no one can mess with me.

I ended up knowing more about this than most of the DMV employees, which worked to my benefit. I knew the pitfalls. And I knew how to stick to the right story and not shot myself in the foot. And they're generally just as, if not more confused when it comes to this bureaucratic stuff. They don't want to be bothered. They just want to cover their own behinds. So if the forms are in order, they usually pass them through with no questions.

Whole thing cost me about $190 total, including registration for the year. In CA, you're not going to do any better than that with ANY car.

Just got my plates. :)

Good luck!

Front lower nose air dam.

Hey there. I'd be interested in the front nose air dam. I might even be interested in the doors if they are in great shape and the shipping wasn't too bad. Let me know. Thanks,

Matt

If you do end up parting out the car..

I will get in line for the from spoiler/airdam, the center console, the steering wheel, the rear view mirror, side mirrors, and the bumpers, if any of those items are in good condition with no damage.

Thanks!

How much for....

Arm rests....red rear turn signals....shift gaiter...what color are the sun visors?

Thanks....

It's been a ridiculous runaround. The guy I bought it from bought it at an estate sale and never transferred the title, so there are several moving parts here that I am honestly tired of trying to track down. The idea of doing the mechanics lien is one I haven't tried, but at this point, it's not worth it on a $750 car. I'll spend a couple grand and buy one that isn't a headache. I did offer it for sale a couple months ago with a bill of sale, but have not had any serious interest. I'm going to start removing some parts and messaging some of you guys over the next week. Thanks for the suggestions, though!

Back