PBS fender flares and tire/wheel width.

DuaneEstill

Banned User
Just got in the PBS knock-off fender flare kits from Matt.

I'll be tentatively running 205's on Carrol Shelby Mini-lit knock-offs. I think they are 13x16.

Is this going to look retarded? What tire width is necessary to get a good look with PBS flares? I'm prepared to buy 14 X 7's to modernize the look. Should I go larger?

Just got in the PBS knock-off fender flare kits from Matt.

I'll be tentatively running 205's on Carrol Shelby Mini-lit knock-offs. I think they are 13x16.

Is this going to look retarded? What tire width is necessary to get a good look with PBS flares? I'm prepared to buy 14 X 7's to modernize the look. Should I go larger?

Have the same flare kit temporarly attached to the 75 and I honestly think 7" looks good. I don't have anything bigger so can not compare :(

I`m also fitting similar flares in the (hopefully) near future, so I`ll be watching this thread with interest.

My tentative plan is 185/60/13 on 13x7 minilite replica for the front, and 205/60/13 on 13x8 minilite replica for the rear. The car is currently lowered by 30mm (just over an inch), so I`m hoping that combo will all look good...but will be interested to hear from those in the know!

Duane... since this can be an EXPENSIVE proposition...

I think it would be best to mount the flares (even temporarily) and then MEASURE the several distances you want the tire to fill.

You also must consider BACKSPACING and OFFSET as well as the overall diameter and width.

I would measure and test and do as little GUESSING as possible as mistakes could be quite expensive or difficult to live with!

Here's a tire and wheel calculator that will help also:

http://www.rimsntires.com/rt_specs.jsp

Then you can also use a cardboard circle as an aid. I personally like to see my tires reach almost the limit of the lip, without protruding, and with just enough clearance to clear when compressed.

Good luck with your choices.

Are you adding the flairs to accommodate additional rubber needed for performance purposes, or are you doing it for appearance? If it's the latter then I'd say go with whatever looks good to *you*. Tony has a good point that you could experiment with spacers and different offsets to fill the wheelwells without having to resort to wider (heavier) tires/wheels that'll actually hurt performance on an otherwise stock(ish) car.

If you're wanting more rubber to support additional power and suspension mods, one thing to consider is whether or not your intended purpose will require larger brakes. If you'll wind up wanting bigger brakes for any reason then it'd pay to consider that when choosing the new wheel size(s). Of course, the downside there is that a larger circumference tire will raise (lower numerically) your gear ratio, which may or may not be a good thing, depending on what driveline you're running.

FWIW, I'm running 205s on the rear of my '85, with 185s up front. Panasport wheels, totally stock body, IAP lowering springs. Absolutely no need for flairs, and I believe I could go wider with different wheels and minor fender rolling. So if all you're wanting is to accommodate somewhat larger tires you probably don't need flairs. And if you want the flairs for their looks, you will likely need to increase the track and/or wheel+tire width a good bit for everything to look right.

Cheers,

///Mike

I think Angelo has this kit on his slalom racer..

127483268_iLQ9U1qv_KLIN3023.jpg

I know he has many wheels so I don't know which ones these are.

I tooks some pics of the 86 with one rear flare mocked up (tape on) and two 6.5" wheels; one with 215's and one with 235s. I have stock springs uncut or modified. These wheels and flares are not going on this car.

(215)

IMG_5147.jpg

IMG_5151.jpg

IMG_5152.jpg

235's:

IMG_5161.jpg

IMG_5159.jpg

IMG_5158.jpg

IMG_5154.jpg

IMG_5156.jpg

6.5" ?

Hi,

your rims look much wider than 6.5".
I would guess them to be 8" wide.

I believe Mike M. has some 8" BWA that have a much narrower width written on them. Could that be the case here?

Geez Tim... Those flares...

Are they really that far "offset" from the original body panels and "reveals"... or do they really mount that much "higher" up so that that car can be lowered and the original panels need to be cut up higher?

Functionality aside for a moment, they don't appear to look that great and a really LARGE tire and wheel combo would be needed, IMHO.

I kinda like the looks WITHOUT the flairs, especially with the 235's. Just what do you intend to do with the flairs anyway?

Thanks for posting.

Hi,

your rims look much wider than 6.5".
I would guess them to be 8" wide.

I believe Mike M. has some 8" BWA that have a much narrower width written on them. Could that be the case here?

I don't know about 8" but now that you say it:

IMG_5162.jpg

I never compared them and these things have been sitting in my storage shed a while so you could br right - at least the size listed could be off :)

Tony - PBS lowered their cars for sure. Its been a subject of discussion on other threads around their approach to suspension mods. So, it makes sense their flares are tall. To do it right you will cut a lot of metal and should prepare for suspension mods to lower the car a good amount.

Are they really that far "offset" from the original body panels and "reveals"... or do they really mount that much "higher" up so that that car can be lowered and the original panels need to be cut up higher?

Functionality aside for a moment, they don't appear to look that great and a really LARGE tire and wheel combo would be needed, IMHO.

I kinda like the looks WITHOUT the flairs, especially with the 235's. Just what do you intend to do with the flairs anyway?

Thanks for posting.

IMG_5156.jpg

Tony - I am not doing them justice in these pics. You can see they actually should sit a tad higher; the rear section that sits in the inlet and covers the side marker is too low. Also with the side marker on, it doesn't sit flush propery.

Matt's prior racer had the full kit and look really good, however I think the rears are a little nicer looking that the fronts IMO:

fiat-pbs-fender-flares4.jpg

new-pbs-rear-flare1.jpg

The flares are going on the 75 which I am dubbing the "dallara killer". It

The reason I like the flares (but I am open to other flares) is the true lines of the car are not removed, just modified a tad. The PBS flares sort of extend the existing lines at least on the arch. Some folks have modded the flares a bit to suit their car as they like. John did this for his Vtech car (at least I think they are PBS??):
IMG_4865.jpg

IMG_4741.jpg

Last edited:
127483268_iLQ9U1qv_KLIN3023.jpg

I know he has many wheels so I don't know which ones these are.

For reference the fronts are 8" wide with 225/45/13 with 4.5" backspace and the rears are 9" 255/40/13 with 4.25" backspace. +/- 1/8" or so. Section width was 9.4" front and 10.5" rear to give you an idea.
127483445_toxW7IWA_KLIN3450.jpg

Those are vintage Faza flares...no mod.

Just like the Al C. Faza JJ has :thumbsup:

That is one fine X! Faza flares & deck lid :headbang:

One day I must own those period correct OZ wheels :hypno:

Any photos of the engine bay?

The flares are going on the 75 which I am dubbing the "dallara killer". It

The reason I like the flares (but I am open to other flares) is the true lines of the car are not removed, just modified a tad. The PBS flares sort of extend the existing lines at least on the arch. Some folks have modded the flares a bit to suit their car as they like. John did this for his Vtech car (at least I think they are PBS??):
IMG_4865.jpg

IMG_4741.jpg

Thanks Tim... great PHOTOS here...

What eye 'candy'... but I haveta say I prefer the Dallara kit for a more formal look.

These though, especially when riveted on, are ALL BUSINESS THOUGH!

I sure would like to see them bolted to a car that has rusted out panels... as I hate to see good panels cut up! HA!

Continued success!

Back