PBS racecar - new engine start up

Jeff Stich

True Classic
A friend has been in the process of converting his PBS Sports Racer from the original Fiat 850-engined setup to now run a modified Fiat X1/9 1300 engine (which was also an option for these cars back in the day). This past weekend he was finally to the point of first startup of the engine - here's a snippet of mutual friend Fred (of former PBS Engineering fame) who stopped by to help with dialing in the ignition timing & adjusting/tuning the dual carb setup. Still more work to do on the car, but she runs great! 👍🏻

Last edited:
Thanks for that. I have never taken much notice of the PBS Sports Racers but after watching that video and a brief search tossed up several examples. Some had the engine at the rear Abarth style or centrally mounted. I have begun gathering suspension bits etc to start the construction of a space frame to build a replica of the Abarth 1000 Biposto Cuneo. This has the 850 engine and gearbox in the same layout as our 850's. The idea is to have a chassis and a body ready to take the mechanicals of my coupe if I do some major damage to my car. Or just to build up another race car using the spare motors and gearboxes laying about.

Back