[Photos] Australian X1/9 finally on the road in Germany

dcioccarelli

Dominic Cioccarelli
Hi all,

I finally got my Australian X1/9 registered in Germany. After waiting a couple of months for the ship to arrive, the car passed customs in Rotterdam and arrived in Munich in January on the back of a huge truck (it was the only car on the truck).

Then came the process of getting the car registered in Germany which was pretty involved. In any case, I managed to have the car back on the road for Spring, so I'm cheering. I'm including a few photos taken today and a short video.

• Front spoiler is from Henk
  • Carburettor is from Steve
  • Cam is from a Euro 1500
  • Exhaust is a 4 branch CSC (stainless steel)
  • Front brakes are cross drilled Zimmermann

Notes so far:

• The K&N filter didn't have any provision for the crankcase breather so I hooked up a small filter that vents to the atmosphere. Unfortunately, I seem to have a bit of blowby so I'm getting puffs of smoke from the engine bay at times. I think I may route it back into the carb.
  • The carburettor still needs adjusting. Not very progressive at low revs. But hey, this is no longer a daily driver.
  • Exhaust is LOUD. But I like it that way.

More later...

Youtube Video

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/oBhrUESX9Eg?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/oBhrUESX9Eg?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Last edited:
  • The K&N filter didn't have any provision for the crankcase breather so I hooked up a small filter that vents to the atmosphere. Unfortunately, I seem to have a bit of blowby so I'm getting puffs of smoke from the engine bay at times. I think I may route it back into the carb.

I have a solution for this - it has to do with correctly hooking up the 6mm pcv hose to the port at the carburetor base, not to the air cleaner, or worse yet plugged off.

I put a on the 18mm crankcase hose below the breather element and connected the pcv hose to it. The engine vacuum will pull all the smoke and fumes into the motor, and the breather will be one that provides additional suction instead of an open air blowby appuratus, which the aftermarket air filter sellers have woefully designed into their part. It will require a reset if the idle mixture and speed, but chances are your idle and stumble problems might also be addressed at this time :)

here's a schematic - if you choose not to run a catch can then just bypass it. I have found little to no oil being "caught", but if you want to make sure you don't have excessive blowby, this would be the way to tell.

Nice X and beautiful color !

Like it ! :thumbsup:

I believe there are no problems with RHD in Germany.

Ian,

As long as you can demonstrate that beer stays colder in the frunk than the rear trunk, they'll let it pass.

Beautiful color. Looks exactly or almost a match to my first X I bought new in 1977.

Now go drive that little green monster as much as possible.

Mike

Aaaah, Mike........!

.....As long as you can demonstrate that beer stays colder in the frunk than the rear trunk, they'll let it pass.......

.....them's are the kinda regulatory bodies I like, mate!! :nod:
Unlike our "traffic Gestapo" who, if they spy ANY grog in your car anywhere, immediately suspect you of being a "booze supplier to under-age kids" or otherwise a confirmed alky!!

cheers, Ian - NZ

Hi Dom,

Good to see it ready to drive.
Enjoy the good driving weather and Xcellent roads

I am waiting on my manifold and carby from Steve for my Green 1300 series 1.
Still not found a 1500 cam for the FI Bertone. Had one sent over that was not as suggested.

Byron

Back