Picked up an ‘86 Bertone today!

SuperTopo

True Classic
Dragged home an ‘86 X1/9 for my soon to be driving son. He wanted mine, but there’s limits to what a father will do for his son.

Needs all hoses and hydraulics, hasn’t been driven for a decade (sound familiar), but I know the history of the car and know it was parked as a perfectly functional car, so no surprises waiting for me. And it‘s got the perfect wheels! I’ll post the progress as it happens. The next generation of X1/9 fans is secure.

Pushing it out of the yard it was in.

1632095537120.png

Dragged home an ‘86 X1/9 for my soon to be driving son. He wanted mine, but there’s limits to what a father will do for his son.

Needs all hoses and hydraulics, hasn’t been driven for a decade (sound familiar), but I know the history of the car and know it was parked as a perfectly functional car, so no surprises waiting for me. And it‘s got the perfect wheels! I’ll post the progress as it happens. The next generation of X1/9 fans is secure.

View attachment 52327
Looks pretty good from the photo. Is the driver wearing a mask for COVID or for what is inside the car?

Congratulations. Looks like a good one. Have lots of fun, cherish the time(s) and be sure to keep us all posted on progress!

View attachment 52327
Are the wheels staying on that car, or moving elsewhere in the fleet? 😉😁

Congrats to your son on getting a cool car to drive.

Yup, COVID. That interior smells like every other Bertone I’ve ever sat in. It’s great!
totally! it is amazing, I havent found another car with the same scent. but even without being near my car reading this puts the smell in my memory!

Odie

Last edited:
Good luck with the project.
And a total flashback for me to see your boy sitting in that dirty little treasure.
Found a '78 for my son a few years ago. It was worth the 8 hour round-trip drive just to see how happy that (surprised) kid was when he got it (17th B-day).

Doing a car is one of the most rewarding activities you can do with your boy. Some dads might lament their son becoming a mechanic, but this was one of the byproducts of all the time in the garage with mine. Couldn't be more proud of my USMC Helo mechanic. And the best part?...it wasn't a freak'n 10 year transition from adolescent to adult.

I like to think doing satisfying projects in the shop gave him confidence, helped make him an adult "on time". Clearly one the best education investments i've ever made.

Again, good luck with the project. And good luck with the car too.

I'm doing the same with my 18 years old son. Car was mine to wait while I was working on my other one. So instead of selling the daily driver now that my 20 years project is going to hit the road soon (just have to bleed everything and change a headlamp motor) I kept it as a father and son project since my kid was really happy when I let him borrow it.

It's nice just to have kids wanting to drive MANUAL cars!
And they will need to keep them since there maybe no more manual cars in a near future ☹️

Good luck with the project.
And a total flashback for me to see your boy sitting in that dirty little treasure.
Found a '78 for my son a few years ago. It was worth the 8 hour round-trip drive just to see how happy that (surprised) kid was when he got it (17th B-day).

Doing a car is one of the most rewarding activities you can do with your boy. Some dads might lament their son becoming a mechanic, but this was one of the byproducts of all the time in the garage with mine. Couldn't be more proud of my USMC Helo mechanic. And the best part?...it wasn't a freak'n 10 year transition from adolescent to adult.

I like to think doing satisfying projects in the shop gave him confidence, helped make him an adult "on time". Clearly one the best education investments i've ever made.

Again, good luck with the project. And good luck with the car too.

Thanks! Father-son project is the prime objective. I'm looking forward to it. Congrats on your son's career, that's awesome.

Your son is a lucky ducky! Imagine being born in 1970 and having your dad pick up a 1966 Alfa Romeo Giulia GT as your car - kinda the same thing.

Very cool. Enjoy the experience.

Back