Picture Needed

Robert Mose

True Classic
I am putting in my speedo cable in. Does anyone have a picture of where it goes thru the floor to the underside ?. When I installed new floor pans I think the hole got welded up.
Has anyone tried running it on the inside of the tunnel?

I thought the one on my 1300 ran under the car from memory, went through the firewall into the front boot and down past the steering I think, then under the car to the gearbox.

Changed mine recently, but r/h drive of course.... it travels thru the front bulkhead, follows the brake supply lines down thru the domed cover, into the drivers footwell, then across and behind the centre console, where it curves down and out thru an oval rubber grommet under the carpet ... then follows the coolant tunnel by clips and up thru another round grommet held by a small dedicated bracket to curve over and into the drive.
Like you say, it goes thru the floor (passenger side in UK) but yours may be arse backwards .. so to speak...good luck.

I am putting in my speedo cable in. Does anyone have a picture of where it goes thru the floor to the underside ?. When I installed new floor pans I think the hole got welded up.
Has anyone tried running it on the inside of the tunnel?

there was some pictures on old xweb ..... don;t remember who put them , but if you still have a problem, i'll make some pictures as is mine routed ( not sure is factory route )

I replaced a 1300 speedo cable about a month ago

In the stock setup, starting at the tranny end, the cable runs: over the tranny; down to the front bottom edge of the engine compartment; along the outside underside of the car next to the coolant pipe tunnel, secured with little plastic clips; through a rubber grommet in an elliptical hole in the floorpan that enters into the passenger compartment by the driver's right foot (US model); diagonally across the front wall of the footwell to the opening that the clutch and brake reservoir hoses pass through; outside underneath the pastic grill at the base of the windshield; and then back through a hole in the firewall directly behind the instrument panel to the speedometer.

There's much more info and some photos in the old xweb best-of section:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/1215...r+Cable+replacing+and+re-routing+procedure...

Unlike Damon, I found it easier to feed the sheath through from the transmission end... but no matter what you do, do as he says and feed the sheath through first, get it placed properly before you feed the cable through. When you do feed the cable through, it starts at the dash end, and if you pull it through rag with a dollop of lithium grease, you'll get a fine thin coating on the cable which helps it spin smoothly.

I didn't see any point in cutting a new hole or routing through the tunnel; it's just not that hard a job. Of course, if your hole in the floor is welded shut, not just hiding, the tunnel will look a lot more attractive.

Avoid sharp bends in the sheath; mostly it makes long loopy sorts of curves.

Last edited:
Back