Pipeline approval by Obama Admin...

I don't think this pipe line should be built either, we should build refinery's here in Canada instead. This way the US don't have to worry about the environmental impact this pipeline may cause and won't have to shut refinery's down in the gulf every time it rains.
As for pipelines, we will still build the one to our western coast to supply China etc. and retrofit the ones to eastern Canada to feed their refinery's.

I am pretty sure the Keystone will be built, BTW... I always was sure.

It does seem like...

it would be cheaper to build refineries there in Canada. Is there big opposition to building them? I have to admit it doesn't make a lot of sense on the face of it to pipe it 1700 miles just to refine, but I don't know anything at all about the nuts and bolts of the whole process.:hmm::hmm:

Well not an expert either but I listen to a few folks who have worked in the oil sands and others who are investors in oil companies.
I think the biggest reason is, it costs a lot to build a refinery (the same as the proposed pipeline) and there is not a lot of profit made in the refining part of the oil business.
I've been told that there hasn't been a new refinery built here in NA for over 30 years.
OTOH I suppose if new refinery's were built here that would cover NA future demands then, some of the one's currently in use in the US would be shut down. I'm sure there is a powerful lobby that will keep that from happening. My guess it's the same lobby that's behind the keystone.

Ahh, I didn't know...

the costs were about the same. That kind of makes some sense out of, kind of! I remember reading something about the lack of refining capacity because nothing had been built for so long, as you say. Seems odd, but maybe it is a built in price booster over the long haul for the refiners-let demand constantly outstrip supply:shock:

Hmm, it sure doesn't seem like it!

But, I'm curious if there is some reasonable explanation. My understanding is as you say, that we can't refine any more oil and for that matter neither can anyone else. But these are vague impressions from reading done a year or more ago.:hmm::hmm::hmm:

Back