Piston pin clips

Removing mine involved digging with a sharp tool and a lot of swearing... wear eye protection!

I don't know myself, but the manual has a possible clue on page 10-67/68. It talks about a groove in the piston to make removing the circlip easier. Of course, there is a special tool for inserting the clips, but I don't see anything on how to get them out. Jeff is probably on target with "lots of swearing". :)

Hopefully you will find a little notch at one point around the hole as the workshop manual suggests (but not all pistons have it). That will enable you to get a small pick under the end of the clip and you can walk it out from there. You may have to first rotate the clip so one end is near that notch. I took a old small pick, ground the end a bit to make it fit the notch better, then bent the tip to make more of a "hook" shape. That allows it to scoop under the clip.

There is a neat tool made to install this type of clip. The Porsche guys swear by it, so I made one by copying it. This is what I'm talking about:

There is a neat tool made to install this type of clip. The Porsche guys swear by it, so I made one by copying it. This is what I'm talking about:
That is indeed a neat tool, and you can make your own out of a scrap of PVC supply pipe - just bevel around the rim at one end, use a spare wrist pin or a pice of wooden dowel as the plunger. I would not dream of trying to to get the clips back in without one of these.

Thanks
I gave them to the machinist he is removing them when he does the block, balance ect. Pistons are shot so don't care about damage.
Will definitely make up something for the install.

Back