Piston Pin Clips

jimmyx

True Classic
Info is scarce on this bear of a project, or maybe I don't know how to search it well enough. In any case I had to do this recently and figured maybe some pics might be useful. One post offered some insights and said to use 3/4" copper tubing. What works best is a 3/4" copper coupling - I found the pipe was just a little too tight. You might have to grind the edge a bit to get it aligned in the piston.

First lightly tap the clip into the edge of the pipe and drive it so the entire clip is beyond the edge of the fitting.
IMG_4957.jpg

Next, place it face down on a solid metal surface and tap it square with the end of the fitting.
IMG_4958.jpg

You should end up with this.
IMG_4959.jpg

You need to line up the fitting so it's square to the piston and drive the clip home with a light hammer, hitting the socket you used to square the clip (just like pic #2 but placed on the piston). You have to be quick and deliberate with the hammer blow as the clip will expand in a nanosecond. It takes one good shot, not light taps. If at first you don't succeed, reload the clip and try it again. Once you get one seated you'll get the hang of it and make short work of the rest of them. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Back