Please identify

Ty Chamberlain

Starting out
Anyone know what this is? It is located in the right rear trunk in the well
upload_2020-3-30_9-21-51.png

Seems like an odd location for the regulator? Was it connected to wiring or just sitting there like a spare part?

Pretty sure that is where they were installed from the factory back when externals were still in use - you don't want that in the heat of an X1/9 engine bay if you want it to function properly -look at the massive heat sink it used to require.

Pretty sure that is where they were installed from the factory back when externals were still in use - you don't want that in the heat of an X1/9 engine bay if you want it to function properly -look at the massive heat sink it used to require.

Exact. Some alternators have their voltage regulator ON the alternator. I think the Magnetti Marelli are in the trunk. Mine is like that.

Here is the whole set up from my 78 after I removed it. The dirty sock is not part of the electronics, just a bonus item in the photo! :)
78_alt.JPG

The regulator mounted to this plate near the rear passenger side marker in the trunk well.
volt_reg_intall_plate.JPG

that is where they were installed from the factory
Interesting. All of my X's have had Bosch alternators with internal regulators, so I never had an X with this type reg.

The regulator mounted to this plate near the rear passenger side marker in the trunk well.
I wondered what that little plate was for. Never anything mounted on any of mine (as per the above comment), but that mounting plate has been on the cars.

Granted the X's engine bay is hotter than most, but I believe this is the first car that I have ever seen with the regulator mounted so far away like this.

Back