Please tell me I won't need a new oil pan

This is more involved than simply "install a Heli-coil".

*This is a large threaded part and it is metric fine thread which adds to the problems of sourcing inserts.

*The hole will need to be bored (not drilled, due to size) to the proper diameter for the insert tap. And, the bored and tapped hole must be aligned properly and sized properly to a few thousands of an inch or 0.0xmm for the repair to even function.

*Then an insert installation tool must be used to install the insert.

*The insert must be flush or slightly below the sealing surface of the hole or the insert above the sealing surface will cause a leak.

*None of this is going to happen using a "hand drill & tap wrench". To do this properly, the pan will need to be set up on a mill... if you go this far, many as well bore it out and thread the hole to the next size up and use a different threaded plug, metric or inch size makes no difference here, it's what will fit best that matters.

*This "ain't" wood working where it the parts don't fit, ya "pound it till it fits.

*Re-threading the stripped out hole to a tapered pipe thread is possible, but I really don't like tapered threads as they stress the wee out of the parts and can cause cracks and other broken bits if over torqued.

Your best options is to get another pan and be careful of who changes oil on the future or remove the pan and take it to your friendly local
machine shop and have then bore, tap the hole to the next size up.

Bernice
Priced the "Time Sert" thread repair kit, $412.53 :eek:mg:

I bought a pan from matt, but when taking the old one off I was prohibited from taking two bolts off (two nearest the tranny) by some sort of bracket or something that looks to be structural (sorry i didn't take pics) is this safe to remove or is there something special/ complicated i have to do in order to change my pan?

sounds like the trans crossmember, you'll need to support the transaxle & unbolt it from the frame, it that's indeed what it is...

can you see the trans mount in the center?

IMG_6751.jpg

Well here is a picture of it, to support the transaxel do I just put a floor jack under it? I've never had to do that before and it sounds like something could easily go wrong so any tips would be helpful.
IMAG0067.jpg

Jack up the back end and put it on jack stands. Use the jack now to support the transmission. give it a couple of pumps to take some weight. Now you can remove the two bolts and the nut that attach the mount to the transmission, the 4 crossmember bolts and the exhaust bolts.. Wiggle it off and voila. Now you can refit the new mount. Keep the old one, looks like you have one with the exhaust bracket. You never know with these cars when parts will become unobtanium. These mounts can be rebuilt ( Dave at Apple Motors).

It's the oil pan, not the mount....

Jack up the back end and put it on jack stands. Use the jack now to support the transmission. give it a couple of pumps to take some weight. Now you can remove the two bolts and the nut that attach the mount to the transmission, the 4 crossmember bolts and the exhaust bolts.. Wiggle it off and voila. Now you can refit the new mount. Keep the old one, looks like you have one with the exhaust bracket. You never know with these cars when parts will become unobtanium. These mounts can be rebuilt ( Dave at Apple Motors).

It's the oil pan, not the mount, that Zona is replacing... And a good thing too, because mounts with the exhaust bracket are already NLA with most of the vendors.

The "part in the way" is....

The "part in the way" is the transmission mount.

There's no magic to supporting the transmission and not too much that can go wrong. Tranny is solidly bolted to the engine, and the engine is held by the snail mount at the belt end and by the dogbone, so it can't slip sideways or do much of anything except sag... And a jack under the tranny (or even a stack of bricks or scrap lumber) will stop the sag.

Honestly, this is one of the jobs that's easier to do than to think about... Just please please please be very damn sure that you have the car solidly supported while you're under it.

Be aware that there is a baffle in the oil pan that hooks over the oil pump pickup, so the pan doesn't just come off. You have to sort of wiggle it and tilt/twist it to work it off... Although a while back someone just gave up and walked away... And the pan fell off all by itself:wacko:

The car has been on jack stands under each corner for a couple months now (much longer than anticipated) and I've done plenty of wrenching on it/ getting in and out with no wobbles at all so I think I'm safe, I just wish I had put it a bit higher off the ground....

Back