Polishing Coolant Tank

RZSR X

True Classic
What's an easy way to polish the SS overflow tank? I don't have a polishing wheel but could pick up one that mounts to a drill. And what polish/compound works best on SS?

Overflow Tank.jpg

I use very fine steel wool and Mother's mag wheel polish....this is done by hand.

Steel wool is still made? I remember my mom used it for all kinds of things in the kitchen back in the day. I guess it's still just as good today. Any idea on how many hours it might take to shine up the tank using this procedure?

I used 000 grade steel wool that is easy to get at hardware stores. Great for cleaning stubborn stuff off windshields with Windex. Anyway, didn't even take an hour to polish up mine. Unlike aluminum, stainless steel seems pretty easy to clean up.

You two stop arguing or I will turn this car right around and go straight back home! And Todd, stop hitting your little brother. Carl, you keep on your side of the line.

I have two of these tanks and both have failed weld (brazed?) joints right here:

Overflow Tank.jpg

Anyone else found that? The tank is stainless but the barb looks like brass(?), so I guess it can be brazed again fairly easily?

And I really like the custom mounting bracket/tab that RZSR X made.

Yes, both my SS tanks have been repaired at that point. By the way, Todd is the YOUNGER brother I'm glad I never had, my real younger brother is bad enough.

Consensus rules, I'll pick up the steel wool and Mothers.

Jeff I'll take a close look and if suspect at all I'll get the barb brazed. Thanks for the insight.

I finally got around to polishing the Overflow Tank. Started with 00 steel wool and Mothers polish then 000 steel wool and Mothers then finally just for fun Mothers polish. And here are the results:
Overflow Polished 1w.jpg
Overflow Polished 3w.jpg

Just shinny enough not to over power the engine.

Only took a couple hours.

Better yet, go with an all aluminum tank. Skip the steel wool and go direct to the Mothers.
Alum_tank.jpg
Ha!

I have been thinking of swapping to another style tank. Does the X need this large of an overflow tank, or will a smaller one, work without issue?

Does the X need this large of an overflow tank, or will a smaller one, work without issue?
A few years ago we had quite a conversation about this here on the forum. From that discussion here is my take on it.

The cooling system has many variables that dictate how well it functions. One of the many aspects that influences any cooling system's ability to work correctly is its liquid (coolant) capacity; a larger overall amount of cooling fluid allows for greater heat transfer without overheating - all other things being equal. Therefore going to a smaller tank is effectively reducing the systems ability to function as designed. Other factors include the climate where you're located, the condition of your vehicle/cooling system, modifications, your driving habits, etc, etc, etc. Any/all of this will combine to determine how well the engine in your car maintains its temps. Therefore some owners have cooling issues while others don't.

If your vehicle/cooling system as a whole is having no problem keeping your engine well within the safe/normal temps (under all conditions), and it consistently does so without variation or risk of getting hot. Then you likely have some "head room", or enough capacity to allow a little modification without risking overheating. In other words, you could get away with reducing the coolant capacity (i.e. size of the overflow/reserve tank) to some extent. So long as there is still sufficient space to allow for normal fluid expansion without it puking out every time it warms up.

But keep in mind, this is only one of many variables. If you also modify any other things that influence the system's ability to work efficiently, then you will start having issues. It is something of a balance of factors. For that same reason, you might also be able to reduce the size of the tank more if you compensate for it elsewhere (larger capacity radiator for example).

I know others have gone to smaller tanks. Some have had no problem with it while others found it created issues. As stated there are many variables at play. I'd suggest taking a realistic look at your situation and the history of your engine's temp management. If you believe you have the extra protection allowance on hand to reduce the system's capability and still operate without cooling issues, then try it. You could always go back if it doesn't work. If you modify your cooling system (and I hope you do, I love modifications) remember the location/placement of the tank is vital for it to work correctly.

Can't you reduce the volume of coolant in the stock tank to verify if you need that full amount? Just keep reducing it till you start to note problems and that will tell you what size tank you can get away with...sure beats buying a bunch of expensive tanks to test.

For the most part yes, but not entirely. Part of the function of the larger tank is providing room for lots of coolant expansion without it puking out the overflow. So even with a reduced amount of coolant in it, the larger tank will allow room for 'mild' overheating but retaining all of the coolant, so it can recover when things cool back down some.
But Carl's suggestion would be a great test to start with. If you experience major issues with even a reduced volume of coolant in the large tank, then you don't have the option of going to a smaller tank. If you don't find problems, then it still might not necessarily mean that you can go to a much smaller tank. Certainly worth trying though.

Looks great! I recently bought a stainless tank from a fellow xweber. Just got all the old chipped paint off and am about to polish it. I believe the “braze” is actually just simple solder. Someone will correct me if I’m wrong but if the seam is damaged then a little heat and solder should cure that. The stainless tanks are far superior to the plastic ones.

What is the best way to remove paint? I have an SS tank I thought I'd cleanup and sell, but don't want to affect the base SS. Paint remover the best?
IMG_2663.JPG IMG_2664.JPG

This is what I used. I literally applied it liberally with a throw away paint brush and waited 30+ minutes and the paint basically fell off. I should mention I’m in Canada.

Attachments

• F935E67D-3581-49A6-8064-D2A74E4C1392.png
    F935E67D-3581-49A6-8064-D2A74E4C1392.png
    458.9 KB · Views: 75
Looks great! I recently bought a stainless tank from a fellow xweber. Just got all the old chipped paint off and am about to polish it. I believe the “braze” is actually just simple solder. Someone will correct me if I’m wrong but if the seam is damaged then a little heat and solder should cure that. The stainless tanks are far superior to the plastic ones.

The tank fittings are silver soldered. Low alloy %4 silver or so. If there is a crack in the joint clean, heat and add a bit of silver solder to mend the joint.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

Back