Pop Quiz!

Joe F

Hi Miles, Lo Maintenance
What is the differance between these two cars (other than the color)?

I invaded "British Car Day" at Larz Anderson Park this past Sunday and I could'nt pass up the photo op.

TR7 I beleive.

The TR6 was still shaped like the MGs, but the TR7 was "the shape of things to come"... remember that ad campaign? Had the TR7 pulling into triangle-shaped garages and such.

Ahhh, the 70's. :laugh:

Pete

Ahhh, here we go...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jk1QaAH-r_o"]YouTube - Triumph TR7 Commercial Leyland 1976 shape of things to come[/ame]

The "confusable" Triumphs

were the TR-7 and the TR-8 - same shape, way different motor.

Of course I've had my exxies mistaken for TR-7s :guns: from time to time

Indeed the TR7

I am sure long time X owners have heard the mistaken reference to this car. :mad:

Due to the advertising blitz Triumph did in the 70's, the shape of the car has stuck in many people's minds. I remember the TR-7 pulling into a wedge-shaped trailer (Bob, I bet you would love to find that trailer-HA!). :lol:

When I saw the car, of course I had to walk up to the owner and say, "What's that, a Fiat X-1/9?"

He did not get the reference and said as long as he owned it, no one has confused it for a Fiat.

For the record, he has replaced the original 4 cyl with the TR8 V8 and plans to paint the car....are you ready....Ferrari red!! :confused:

Talk about trying to make a silk purse out of a cow's ear!!

I guess 2-seater cars brings out the weird in people!

I know, I know... its the License Plates!

What do I win???

p.s. Good goin' Joe... betcha pissed of a lot of show-goers! HAHAHA!

Ah the TR7...

Like all things that came out of British Leyland, the development was stopped at about 90% complete and it was left to the owners to finish (sound familiar?). Not a bad car really.. once sorted out... but that sorting will drain your bank account and severely try ones patience... just ask an owner that's replaced a water pump on one.

They finally got it right when they pulled out the slant 4 and dropped in the Buick/Rover V8 (TR8)... but then almost immediately stopped building them...

typical

Get it right then stop. Although I am not a fan of the heavy Fiero, they finally decided to take out the chevette and citation suspension, give it a real one, then killed the car. Par for the course.

Odie

Favorite Quote

"A Triumph TR7 looks like a Fiat X1/9 with a bad case of the mumps"

Cheers - DM

Right on Odie... and that 3.whatever V6 really made it scoot...

Then there was the possibility of bolting up a V8... and some did just that!

Here's one that went over the top!

BlownFiero.jpg

"The Shape Of Things To Come"

Then, went.

Blue car is a British Leyland (Triumph) TR7-TR-8

British Leyland sold quite a number of TR7s in the US market even with all the designed in problems. Eventually, the TR8 (Buick/Rover V8) became available.

They sold a limited number of these, regardless the majority of TR8 are still on the road today. I suspect mostly due to the V8 engine.

Converting a TR7 to Rover/Buick power is quite popular with conversion bits easily availiable.

Most use a T5 behind the V8 instead of the British Leyland 5 speed for a host of reasons. http://www.aluminumv8.com/

What is not usually discussed or mentioned is how many two sports cars were inspired by the X. Be it styling (TR7 and a few others) or the mid-engine built on a FWD engine/transaxle concept.

Little mention or credit is ever given to the X being the design that started the idea for mass production.

The Lotus Elise/Exige and it looks like the new VW (who else will follow?) roadster will be continuing renditions of this design concept.

Spread out some of that credit.

First off, I hope you were tying to kid me by saying "Blue car is a British Leyland (Triumph) TR7-TR-8" :hmm:

Also some credit for a true mid-engine design for a mass produced car has to go to Mr Colin Chapman whose Europa S2 made in 1968 has to qualify as an innovation. He was one of the pioneers that introduced racing technology to the street.
I think he produced about 9000 Europas from 68 to 74.

I know you were just kidding about calling my car a TR...right?? :hug:

Guess the leggie pulling went a bit too far.... Just making sure anyone reading this is paying attention.....and, it's fun to poke fun at the similarity between the X1/9 and TR7-TR8 for all the times folks on the street believe your X1/9 is a Triumph Ha!:eek:mg:

The Lotus Europa is the other significant small mid-engine car that went into production. Looked at several back in the day came very, very close to purchasing one and still would like one to this day. It was intended as a replacement for the Lotus 7, and Chapman wanted FORD to back a program to win 24 Hours of LeMans from Ferrari back in the day. This was the Lotus type 47.

I still want a Europa to this day..

Today, Banks Engineering does very interesting Lotus Europas:
http://www.banks-europa.co.uk/index.php

Colin Chapman is one of my favorite innovators for a host of reasons. Many of his ideas and innovations in race car design are still found on race cars to this day.

Have a good look at a Lotus Elise or Exige, it's what the X1/9 could have been in many, many ways.

First off, I hope you were tying to kid me by saying "Blue car is a British Leyland (Triumph) TR7-TR-8" :hmm:

Also some credit for a true mid-engine design for a mass produced car has to go to Mr Colin Chapman whose Europa S2 made in 1968 has to qualify as an innovation. He was one of the pioneers that introduced racing technology to the street.
I think he produced about 9000 Europas from 68 to 74.

I know you were just kidding about calling my car a TR...right?? :hug:

All in Good Fun

Absolutely no mistaking your post as anything but good fun! :dance:

I also had an interest in the Europa back in the day, as well as the Elan, but alas they were just outside of my price range.

I don't know if Lotus had the same problems Leyland cars did, but a short bout with a TR250 turned me off British cars and on to a steady diet of Italian.

Europa's are not that expensive, They are still more than an X, but IMO, the X is under valued in the current market place. The Europa suffers from lack of recognition, it's also got a strong following like the X.

The Elan is more popular and more desierable than the Europa, this was true back in the day and is still pretty much true today. The market values reflect this. The aftermarket parts and parts in general is quite good for Elan owners. It does have BIG rubber donuts in place of U-joints or CV joints which wind up and u-wind under hard acceleration. Kinda strange first time you drive one. The ride is soft_ish like an X while retaining good chassis dynamics. In many ways, the Elan drives like an X except for it's inherent front engine chassis personality.

Interestingly, the second Lotus Elan, FWD, Isuzu drive train is one of the better modern two seaters built on a FWD, front engine layout. It's a better car than most will believe.

Problems in the Europa & Elan, they are not much differnt than the majority of Brit cars from that era. Lotus being a small car manufacture, they picked parts bins for what they built. The Europa uses re-configured Triumph Herald front suspension bits complete with trunnions, Lucas electrics and more. Regardless of their humble beginnings the Lotus folks understood how to get more out of these parts then those who created them.

While the body shells are made of fiberglass, the chassis are very prone to rust (If you think an X rust easy, have a good look at an old Lotus chassis). There are aftermarket chassis available and are significantly better than the OE.

Even with all the problems, the Lotus offers a rather special driving experience which is why it appeals to some. They can be made very reliable, just finish the design details that Lotus never did and upgrade to modern bits for the problems areas.

As for the Triumph TR-250 / TR6, we are basically re-designing one in many ways from ground up. At some point, maybe I'll share some of what we have done recently on the TR6 project here.

Absolutely no mistaking your post as anything but good fun! :dance:

I also had an interest in the Europa back in the day, as well as the Elan, but alas they were just outside of my price range.

I don't know if Lotus had the same problems Leyland cars did, but a short bout with a TR250 turned me off British cars and on to a steady diet of Italian.

Back