Power Window Problem

eflexter

Eddie Flexter
It's time for a cure to this stupid problem!! The power window switches on my '86 just can't hold up to the amps going through them. I've cleaned them several times, which works for a short while, then it stops working (only on the UP direction which is the most load on the system).

Time to find another switch. Anyone got any opinions? I'd like to avoid adding relays. Seems like a big old Mercedes switch or something like that would be good. Anyone? Anyone?

Try cleaning and lubing

the window track. They get sticky to the glass over time.
I found that using a good silicone spray in the track helps a lot.
Also, if you're ambitious, take the door card off and clean the tracks inside too.
Wouldn't hurt to make sure the winder motor runs freely as well.

Just some hints -

As BB said... but a word of caution...

First... the panel CLIPS usually break... be very careful pulling the door panel... use the proper Harbor Freight tool... and even so.. you'll probably break MANY.

Mad Matt has some... about a buck apiece used! I have FOUR left... at 100 dollars apiece... (Just kidding, but they are hard to find...)

Secondly... I went through one of these motors and switches that was totally inoperative and just cleaned and re-lubed everything, including the switch, track, actuator, and motor internals.

When I put it all back together it operated as if it was a HONDA! No load going up or down... just perfect. I was amazed. Hopefully you can get yours to do the same.

Oh Tony???

I gave up on the clips and used military spec. Velcro. Use contact cement to bond each part to the door and to the door card. My 87 only uses Velcro. No problems yet, but then it has only been 7 years since I since I installed it.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

Great idea!

I used the velcro on my tires and man does it handle now. Now all I need is more power to get it moving.
Bob

HA... Ya know you and Bob Turchan are my heroes...

... I'm gonna go out and Velcro my tires and then get one of those Velcro Sumo Wresting Suits to wear while driving also!

HAHAHA!

On a serious note though... I have always had trouble with the Velcro GLUE sticking to whatever I apply it to. Maybe its the CA sun... But I go to take something apart and the Velcro pulls off what it was glued to... and its still stuck together!

Something like a door panel I would find it unglued to the panel or to the metal... kinda thing.

Is there a USA commercial Velcro you use?

Back